Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a Telus customer for 15 years. I was generally happy with Telus until they forced my Email account to Gmail.

They forced my account over on April 27 th. I was not allowed to migrate my account to any other provider. I don't like Gmail. They tend to make it very difficult to use anything other then their proprietary programs.

They make it equally difficult to use their software to use a non-gmailthan email address.

Furthermore, Telus's phone support has dropped sharply.

Telus no longer offers support for Linux. So unless you use Mac or Windows you are your own. I would be OK with this except for Gmail.

Instead of telling you, they can't solve the issue they bounce you around. After spending three days and several hours on the phone just to Gmail on my phone to work, to say nothing of the other services I need I decided it would be far faster to start a new Email address with another provider.

It took me 3 mins to setup a new Hushmail account and a further 4 hours to communicate with my most critical people aboutset up the change to a new email address.

I contacted Telus again to work out a different payment arrangement to reflect that their Email services were no longer required. They then proceeded to send me over to tech support. That's not what I asked for.

Naturally I hanged up the phone.

I then called Shaw. They offered me exactly what I wanted. Internet with no Email. They sent me the equipment right then and there. It took me 5 mins to arrange this.

Well done Telus. It took me less time to start over with a whole business then it did to get 1 app working on 1 device.

It also took more time to tell Telus their services are no longer required. At least the customer service Rep did the Honorable thing and agreed to cancel the cancellation fee, as Telus clearly failed in its contractual obligations.

After 15 years of reliable service that I had paid for regularly, I find this to a poor way to end relations with an organization.

Telus used to provide a good service. What happened?

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
You can use gmail accounts in thunderbird. Can you not use telus/gmail accounts through thunderbird or some other email program?
Anyway I generally advise you pick a domain like name.ca or whatever ...pay $12 to register it with baremetal or some other registrar and set up email through it rather than your provider. Then you never need to inform anyone of a change and you can change providers any time you want. Whether telus cogeco shaw you use example.ca name.ca whatever you chose and register as a domain.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
ISP Email should not be a deal breaker. But in the end, you should be able to open your TELUS email account (which happens to be powered by Gmail) in any standard modern email client, such as Microsoft Outlook, Windows Mail, and yes I believe Thunderbird. What problems are you having with your TELUS EMAIL ACCOUNT (which happens to be powered by Gmail)?

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Thunderbird works fine with GMail. At least they didn't put you on Yahoo, as Rogers did. Also, I set up my own domain name on GMail and it works fine.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I started a thread about migrating your e-mail over to Google and all the trouble I had. I did get Thunderbird working, and it works fine now, although I did have to go to my telus email address through google to tell it that after a long power failure, Google thought I was a new computer and I had to tell it to allow Thunderbird to work (only happened once).

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
not sure why the need for all this info, telus is simply changing their mail server from the one they used previously to a google server, really all your changing is the server settings in your email client, not sure why the big headache is involved? bell did this a few years ago when they moved away from microsoft to their own server. it was not challenging at all

·
Registered
495 Posts
not sure why the need for all this info, telus is simply changing their mail server from the one they used previously to a google server, really all your changing is the server settings in your email client, not sure why the big headache is involved? bell did this a few years ago when they moved away from microsoft to their own server. it was not challenging at all
Because many people who had programs like Thunderbird and so forth had a lot of trouble connecting, and the people at Telus didn't always have enough information to do the job. I posted my problems because transferring it over didn't go smoothly and I was trying to help other people if they got the same bad information. It is hard to find things like having to down grade your security on Google to get Thunderbird to work, if you have never seen that before and it isn't obvious when you transfer over. Many people who did this transfer are like me, older and not always up on the latest setups, so when something doesn't go well it is nice to have a place to turn to that might make it easier. If I had gotten the person I was supposed to get who was up to date on the transfer for Thunderbird it would have taken 10 minutes, it took me over 4 hours because that person was probably transferred over to the BC govt. Covid sign up page, and I was left with someone who didn't know what to do and what Google needed.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Because many people who had programs like Thunderbird and so forth had a lot of trouble connecting, and the people at Telus didn't always have enough information to do the job
That's common. If it's not from Microsoft, companies won't provide support.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Many people who did this transfer are like me, older and not always up on the latest setups, so when something doesn't go well it is nice to have a place to turn to that might make it easier.
In my personal experience, Older people tend to use the Web Portal and simply login to check their email. and if they want to check it on a email client, they are likely using an Android Tablet or an Apple I Pad tablet to check their email, which has a simplistic approach with modern accounts like Google, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
I'm 67 and prefer to use a proper email client. I don't use the web portal. While I sometimes use my phone or tablet, I much prefer to do my email on my desktop computer.

·
Registered
9,512 Posts
I haven't used ISP provided emails for 10 years. ISPs are not good at email. There are too many problems when ISPs decide to switch providers, especially when they force customers into switching domains. It's also a big issue when switching ISPs and the ISP policy is to terminate email services immediately. Canadian ISPs have a bad track record with their email add-ons. I also avoid Canadian email providers. I've tried some and they have all ended in terminated services or the imposition of high user fees. In addition to the popular services like Gmail, there are lots of good email providers available and they do it as a business, not as an add-on. Some provide additional features such as improved privacy or encryption.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Yes in my personal opinion, go with the 3 top email providers, Hotmail (Outlook), Yahoo Canada, and GMail if u want a permanent email address for life

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
^^^^
In reverse order of preference. There's nothing worse than a hotmail address for appearing credible and Yahoo is for Yahoos! ;)

I have my own domain on Google.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts