Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I recently signed up with Distributel for their VOIP phone line and DSL service. Today I had a very friendly customer agent from Distributel call me and inform me that my phone line tested for 2 mbps service. She told me that they use Bell's network and that that was all that was available even though they do offer up to 6 mbps in other areas.

I went on Bell's website and tested my neighbour's phone numbers and they all qualified for 6 mbps service including my next door neighbours. Now, my house was just built and there is currently no phone line at my place. Considering my neighbours are getting 6 mbps, shouldn't I be able to get the same thing? I guess I will find out in about 10 days once they hook up my stuff but I wanted to hear thoughts here first!

Thanks!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Sometimes the database they use is either out of date, or wrong. Once you're hooked up, do a speedtest from http://speedtest.net and see what you get. If your neighbour is getting close to 6Mbps you should too. If you're only seeing 2Mbps, ask them submit a ticket to Bell to push your profile higher. Bell still controls the speed profiles. However, if it's advertised as "up to 5Mbps", understand the most you'll get is just over 4Mbps. This is due to the overhead on DSL packets- unless Bell makes a mistake and puts you on a higher profile.

Wonderful monopoly we live in, huh?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Bell has in the past been notorious for being unable to hookup DSL for resellers like Distributel but somehow being able to hookup the same customer for Sympatico DSL. I can't say whether this still happens but it used to happen all the time, it was rather embarrassing to have a potential customer call us back after we told them no DSL available to have them tell us they were on Sympatico now.
Cambo is right. The DB maintenance at Bell was horrid. Their portal was more often wrong than right and this is the where even Bell gets their data from for service level. There is a good chance that even though the Bell site states 6Mbps they might be able to only offer the 2Mbps that Distributel can provide. The number from Distributel would likely be from the Centre for Excellence (if that is what is still called) which has the real numbers.
Also don't be surprised if Bell doesn't admit not being able to provide more than 2Mbps, they've got fine print to cover their butts, it'll state something like "upto 6Mbps..."

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So does that mean that if I go with Distributel I may only get 2 mbps but if I went with Bell internet, I could get potentially a higher speed?

·
Registered
390 Posts
It depends on the package.

Most likely, you will get faster speeds with Bell, as they're pushing people to subscribe to their "Fibe" service. (Don't be fooled, it's not FIBRE OPTIC service). However, you will pay more, and you will get capped downloads. Most 3rd party ISP's will offer unlimited, or much higher download caps (e.g 200GB), plus much better Customer Service as most are based in Canada.

However, under our archaic CRTC, the 3rd party ISP's are only allowed to offer up to 5Mbps and no more. It's a shame for valid competition yes, hopefully it will change. Bell will fight them tooth and nail.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I must say, I have had Distributel for a few weeks now and the VOIP line and internet is pretty good. I usually average about 2.23 mbps and Utorrent files are around 150-200 kilobytes/second.

I talked to Distributel about pushing my profile and she told me that they automatically do that. Should I still contact Bell and get it pushed? Can I e-mail them or do I need to speak to a specific department? I phoned Bell today and they told me they can offer me up to 6 mbps. But that is of course "up to."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts