Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

161 - 180 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
GHM: "I can't play from Disney+ yet"
The big companies sometimes have difficulty playing nicely together. It can take months or years before they agree to support each other's services. For example, Amazon and Google didn't support their competitor's streaming services until recently. Amazon seemed to go as far as blocking Prime casting to Chromecast using third party apps as a workaround.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Amazing that Disney+ launched with a better quality service on day one compared to Crave which has been around five years and still can't even offer the basics to its customers.

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
The problem with Crave is that they have too much security and cross checking. The other thing that makes it user unfriendly is the process of logging in through third parties such as cable companies. I suspect that the odious level of security is required by content providers and is made worse by a lack of in house expertise and internal politics. Bell seems to put profits and expansion ahead of customer satisfaction at every turn. Crave is a small player in the streaming market and has little leverage to obtain better terms from content owners and fewer resources to improve their software. The user interface isn't bad once logged in but is hampered by apparent timeouts and bugs that make playback fail unexpectedly.

Disney+ has a lot more resources and is not hampered by third party content owners placing restrictions on how their content can be streamed. That makes their task easier. It doesn't explain how Netflix is able to provide such a superior experience compared to Crave though. Don't know how Netflix and Disney+ compare (since I haven't tried Disney+) but I suspect they are similar.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Dropped Stack TV thru Prime and picked up Disney+ instead. So I have all 3 majors for streaming, Netflix, Prime and Disney. Now because of the dumb TV I use Nvidia Shields. That said, if you completely log out of Netflix, you have to go thru the entire process of email/password. With Disney +, if you log completely out, use the smart phone app, enter a code and poof... you're in. Saved me using the damn on screen keyboard more than once.

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
There is no technological reason why authentication and playback control cannot be linked between devices and apps for any streaming service. There are various methods available. The use of 2D bar codes, casting or two factor authorization-like technology would be possibilities. It looks like Disney+ is on the right track. Some of the others are stuck in the technology stone age.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Apple TV will access content to all streaming apps. There is no need to login to each app individually. Some people may like but I find it confusing and prefer to login to service that I want to watch.
As for Disney + they still have some issues and buffering is one main problem for me. I am pretty sure that it will be solved soon if it hasn’t already

·
Registered
850 Posts
So I watched Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 on the weekend. I was quite surprised that the service did not remember when I stopped watching. So if I jumped out the movie, when I came back the movie would start from the beginning. It was a very frustrated experience.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thats weird.

When I was finished watching an episode of the Mandalorian and my kids wanted to watch the same episode the next day, the show would always start where I finished, which was the end credits. There was no option to restart the episode from the beginning. But I think this was fixed with an update.

Netflix is still king of the streaming apps in my opinion. Disney as some work to do to catch up.

Mr.6

·
Super Moderator
16,380 Posts
Frozen 2 will be available on Disney+ three months ahead of schedule to keep the kids occupied. The film will bow in the US beginning Sunday, March 15 in HD, with Ultra HD available to all subscribers on Tuesday, March 17. Frozen 2 will be available on Disney+ in Canada, the Netherlands, Australia and New Zealand on Tuesday, March 17. (Deadline)

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Today they have released ONWARD, which was just in theatres prior to the lockdown.
Disney has not released this on regular Digital or Physical media yet.

·
Registered
930 Posts
My son's English teacher has told his class to sign up the the free trial of Disney+ so they can watch Stargirl. They'll have a class discussion (online) comparing the movie to the book.

He's not looking forward to it. He didn't like the book. He said there was too much romance.

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
Stargirl looks like a "chick flick" aimed at a young female audience. It doesn't rate well on IMDb either. Please give your son my sympathies. English teachers always seem to have the worst taste in reading material and then they beat it to death. I wouldn't have wanted to read the book and watch the movie either.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
In my opinion, as someone brought up without ubiquitous tv and video, many decades ago, almost anything is Worse than the Book!
My recent example would be The Expanse

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,380 Posts
Disney+ has 50 million paid subscribers globally within five months after its U.S. launch. In the past two weeks, Disney+ rolled out in eight Western European countries and last week in India. (Press Release)

----

The animated short film Maggie Simpson in 'Playdate with Destiny' will stream globally on the service beginning tomorrow, Friday, April 10. Maggie Simpson in 'The Longest Daycare' will begin streaming on Disney+ later this month. (Press Release)

·
Super Moderator
16,380 Posts
The final chapter of the Skywalker saga, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, will begin streaming two months early on Disney+ in honor of "May the 4th." For the first time ever, fans will be able to stream the complete Skywalker saga all in one place. (Source)

·
Super Moderator
16,380 Posts
Disney+ will fast track the premiere of the filmed version of the original Broadway production of Hamilton, bringing the musical to homes around the world on July 3, 2020. (Source)

161 - 180 of 180 Posts