Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
This is old news, but new to me. Disney's new Star Wars live-action series "The Mandalorian" will premier on November 12 - the first day that Disney+ starts streaming. https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-mandalorian-will-be-available-on-disney-from-day-o-1833985687/amp

Though precious little else as new content on day one other than the High School Musical series.

That alone might convince me to subscribe, if it's available in Canada. Though it will be unfortunate if it isn't - somehow I don't think Disney will be as quick to licence this content to Canadian TV channels in the same way that CBS has been doing with their CBS All Access exclusive material.

What is new (and led my to the this) is that Ewan McGregor might be back as Obi-Wan Kenobi (or is it Obi-Wan) in a third live-action series that's in pre-production. (well, as long as Hayden Christensen doesn't return, I'm good!). The second live-action series apparently is a spin-off from Rogue One. https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/obi-wan-kenobi-series-ewan-mcgregor-disney-plus-1203304387/

·
Registered
632 Posts
The price of ESPN+ just goes to show how out to lunch Rogers and Bell is with Sportsnet and TSN. They charge $25 each for their over the top services.
You're comparing apples and oranges. ESPN+ doesn't show any of the programming that is broadcast on ESPN / ESPN2 / ESPNU / ESPNews / SEC Network / etc. It is all additional programming and more than half of it is low-ratings stuff like CFL, European soccer, etc.

·
Registered
8,608 Posts
I agree. Comparable Canadian and US sports channels and services have comparable prices. Comparing the cost of a basic cable channel to a premium service isn't valid.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Radio Disney is available on Sirius XM I believe and can stream from the Sirius app so technically it is available in Canada already.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
That’s correct..... I use to listen to it in the days I subsribed to Sirius XM Canada !

Back on topic though from the rumours I’ve heard Disney Plus is suppose to come to Canada next year.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
... from the rumours I’ve heard Disney Plus is suppose to come to Canada next year.
Which if true, makes me wonder how Canadians (or the rest of the world come to think of it) will be able to watch the new Star Wars series when it starts this year.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
NEWS:

Disney will begin its international roll-out of Disney Plus on the same day – Nov. 12 – that the direct-to-consumer service launches in the U.S., with a push into Canada and the Netherlands, followed a week later by Australia and New Zealand.

In addition, Disney’s Direct-to-Consumer and International group announced Monday that it had reached global agreements with Apple, Google, Microsoft, Roku, and Sony to distribute the Disney Plus app across partner mobile and connected-TV devices.

In the U.S., access to Disney Plus will cost $6.99 per month. Pricing plans in the first four international markets will be roughly comparable. In Canada, the service will cost $8.99 (Canadian) per month (or $89.99 per year), and in the Netherlands, the price will be €6.99 per month (or €69.99 per year).

On Nov. 19, Disney Plus will launch in Australia and New Zealand, priced at $8.99 (Australian) per month (or $89.99 per year) and $9.99 (New Zealand) per month (or $99.99 per year), respectively.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/variety.com/2019/digital/news/disney-plus-launch-canada-netherlands-australia-new-zealand-1203305784/amp/

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Just announced: Disney+ coming to Canada starting November 12th!
Announced via Walt Disney Studios Canada Twitter: https://twitter.com/disneystudiosca/status/1163439141792735232
Well, that was a very quick resolutions of the concern I expressed Sunday! Thanks everyone! :)

So about $7.50 a month on an annual subscription.

Looks like (in the USA at least) it will be available on most devices (including Roku) except Amazon Fire. https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/19/20811513/disney-plus-launch-devices-iphone-ipad-apple-tv-roku-android-subscription

Presumably Canada will be similar.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I’d say as well that it will be on the same devices as was stated for the US, If not then Apple TV and iPhone/IPad is probably the most likely first because they seem to get most newer things first at times.

·
Registered
8,608 Posts
See the link in post #50.
At launch, you’ll be able to stream Disney+ on these platforms and products:

Apple TV (tvOS)
Android mobile devices
Android TV
Chromecast
Desktop web browsers
iPad (iPadOS)
iPhone (iOS)
PlayStation 4
Roku streaming players
Roku TV
Xbox One
It wasn't explicitly stated but the Canadian service should support the same devices.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Why not Amazon Fire stick?

So will Netflix Canada no longer carry any marvel movies?
Can we watch every old movies/cartoons on Disney+ like Toy story 1 to 4, Aladdin and ...?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Yeah.. while the IOS/Android is great.. would like it more on my smart TV, etc. (samsung)

Their plan in the long run, is to have like EVERYTHING on there. But may not be all on there to start.
My guess with the netflix stuff, is that whatever is on there will stay there till the current contract expires, then will be removed from netflix (and you wont see NEW stuff on there)

·
Registered
8,608 Posts
Disney will be airing all it's new content on it's own service. Licensing for content on other platforms will not be renewed once current agreements expire. That content will only be available on Disney services after that happens. It's difficult to find dates for specific titles but it's likely that they vary with provider and also depends on the release date for more recent titles. Expect all Disney content to disappear from Netflix over the next few months or years.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hopefully a website will pop up in the coming weeks/months that has all this information collected for us in one place. I'm assuming FX Canada has The Simpsons for a few more years?

·
Registered
8,608 Posts
would like it more on my smart TV, etc. (samsung)
I don't see Samsung not supporting Disney+ for long. It's probably in development. Some TVs have Roku or Android interfaces so they may get it at launch. It would be nice if TV makers could agree on a standardized TV interface.

41 - 60 of 181 Posts