Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
221 - 240 of 245 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,646 Posts
FX's Pistol, the limited series about Sex Pistols guitarist Steve Jones, will premiere Tuesday, May 31 exclusively on Hulu in the U.S. and on Disney+ in UK, Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Singapore. The premiere will feature all six episodes. (Source)

----

Disney+ announced that production has commenced filming on a brand-new limited series The Full Monty (8x60') with the original lead cast. The UK Original series will premiere on Disney+ globally, Star+ in Latin America and Hulu in the U.S. (Source)

----

Here's what's new on Disney+ Canada in April 2022 .

Notable:
The Kardashians April 14 [Disney+ Star Original, Hulu Original in the U.S.]
Godfather of Harlem (Season 2) April 27 [Star]
Lots of library content from Disney-owned channels including old ABC shows.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Disney+ will expand its offerings for consumers by introducing an ad-supported subscription in addition to its option without ads, beginning in the U.S. in late 2022, with plans to expand internationally in 2023. (Press Release)
Although a good option in making the service affordable for more people, this is one option that I would pass on. I just find ads too annoying, and don‘t mind paying a bit more to maintain an ad free experience.

·
Registered
10,438 Posts
The number of subscribers may not be a good metric. I have subscriptions to several ad supported streaming services but rarely watch them unless there is no other choice for a particular program. I prefer to watch ad free services. I might pay to get rid of ads when there is a series I like and then it's back to being an ad supported subscriber.

·
Registered
10,438 Posts
I was referring to free ad supported services so that may skew the results. The number and length of ads is also a factor. I find that ad supported streaming services tend to have fewer or shorter ads than their linear counterparts. Don't know if that applies to Hulu. That's offset by the inability to skip or fast forward through the ads with streaming options. I would probably subscribe to the ad free Hulu plan when there is something to watch and completely cancel when there is not.

·
Super Moderator
19,646 Posts
FX's Under the Banner of Heaven will premiere on Thursday, April 28 exclusively on Hulu in the U.S. The limited series will soon be available on Star+ in Latin America and Disney+ under the Star banner in all other territories. (Source)

----

The Quest will begin streaming May 11 only on Disney+. (Source)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
In a difference from how CBS/Paramount+ has handled some of it's properties ie Star Trek, Disney+ is going to be the home for Dancing with the Stars in the US and Canada. More football for ABC and a big hole for CITYTV

·
Registered
10,438 Posts
In a difference from how CBS/Paramount+ has handled some of it's properties ie Star Trek,
I just received an email from Paramount+ Canada stating that the complete Star Trek Universe is now available. If true, it ends Bell's exclusive carriage of Star Trek properties in Canada. Don't know how this will affect Crave going forward. The aggressive emergence of Disney+ and other market changes, such as the recently announced Discovery+ and HBO Max merger, are really putting pressure on Paramount+ to step up their game or be relegated to a trivial player in the streaming marketplace. Worldwide, Disney+ is currently in third place, behind Netflix and Prime while Paramount+ is seventh in market share.

·
Super Moderator
19,646 Posts
Deadline reported that the cast of The Orville was released in August when their options expired and there are no current plans for a fourth season. Season 3 is not designed as a definitive ending to the series and the door has been left open for Seth MacFarlane to revisit it with a new installment if/when he wants to do it in the future. I still haven't seen any Season 3 scheduling info other than the June 2 launch on Hulu.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I just received an email from Paramount+ Canada stating that the complete Star Trek Universe is now available. If true, it ends Bell's exclusive carriage of Star Trek properties in Canada. Don't know how this will affect Crave going forward. The aggressive emergence of Disney+ and other market changes, such as the recently announced Discovery+ and HBO Max merger, are really putting pressure on Paramount+ to step up their game or be relegated to a trivial player in the streaming marketplace. Worldwide, Disney+ is currently in third place, behind Netflix and Prime while Paramount+ is seventh in market share.
This is true but it is also going to put immense pressure on Bell (Crave) soon as these companies will want to keep streaming rights for themselves. This is just one example and the Discovery / Warner deal is bad news for Bell as worldwide, Warner is looking to merge the apps to have a single brand worldwide which would mean when the HBO deal with Bell expires in what I believe is 2024, it is likely Bell will lose the ability to stream HBO / Warner shows as they would keep them for themselves in their own app. Paramount+ is also bad news cause the Showtime content will likely move to their streaming service when that deal expires as well. This is why Bell is pushing so hard for C10 to pass as it will only get worse. The bad news for them is the apps they would want to stop are already here (Discovery+ soon to be merged with HBO Max, Paramount+, Disney+) and likely grandfathered so they will have to actually produce good content which isn't exactly their forte. They are just lucky Peacock didn't make it in time but unfortunately for them Corus got those rights so they are out of luck there.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I’m actually hoping that Crave maintains streaming rights for the Star Trek series. I would much rather watch them on a service that doesn’t have any ads, rather than have to subscribe to a service like Paramount+, that I assume is riddled with ads.

My assumption that Paramount+ is riddled with ads could be wrong, since I’ve never subscribed to the service, but I seem to recall others complaining about the ads on Paramount+.

I may be in the minority, but having the ability to stream without ads is top priority for me.

(This post might better be in the Paramount+/CBS thread, but I’m following up on a couple of posts from others regarding Star Trek that are in this thread,)

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
I don't really think C10 will change much in terms of Netflix, Disney+ etc.. All that C10 really does is require internet streamers to produce Canadian content and contribute to production funds. All it really is going to do is increase prices for streaming services. I don't think it really prevents foreign companies like Netflix from acting like a broadcaster here. For example Disney+ will probably just get Wildbrain to create programs for them like Disney did for their channel. Warner Media will likely just get one of Corus' production arms to produce programs for whatever their merged app is.

The main issue with C10 is how it applies to independent creators on platforms like YouTube, TikTok, Twitch and the like. That infringes on freedom of expression and I think will be challenged in courts if passed.

221 - 240 of 245 Posts