Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
181 - 200 of 211 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,080 Posts
The first 19 seasons of The Simpsons aired in 4:3 aspect ratio, however Disney Plus is cropping the top and bottom of those early episodes and presenting them in 16:9 aspect ratio common with HDTV.. Disney announced on Friday that they will allows subscribers to choose the original aspect ratio if they wish starting in early 2020. (LA Times)
It appears that feature to toggle between aspect ratios is now available. (Deadline)

·
Super Moderator
19,080 Posts
Highlights from the STAR FACT SHEET PDF direct from Disney.

Disney+ will be updated to include the Star brand on February 23rd, 2021 in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada. The streaming service will continue its global rollout, now with Star, in new markets beginning with Singapore on February 23rd, 2021, followed by Eastern Europe, South Korea, Japan, and Hong Kong later in 2021.

Pricing for Disney+ as of February 23, 2021:
Canada: $11.99/month or $119.99/annual

Fully integrated into Disney+ in select markets outside the U.S., Star launches as a sixth brand tile with its own dedicated brand page featuring a robust collection of general entertainment movies, television, documentaries, and more, along with Star-branded new exclusive originals and local productions being created for the service.

Disney+ with Star brings subscribers:
A Single Entertainment Destination for All Audiences:
All the content, including movies, shows, shorts, and originals from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic, plus an additional 1000 unique titles under the new Star brand in the first year.
Exclusive Originals: Over the next few years, Disney+ plans to add over 60 brand new originals from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic, and Star, along with local productions being created for the service under the Star brand geared towards a more mature audience.
Robust Parental Controls: To keep Disney+ suitable for audiences of all ages and the experience parents expect, new parental controls will include the ability to set limits on access to content for specific profiles based on content ratings and the ability to add a PIN to lock profiles with access to mature content.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I dono if Disney+ is worth $11.99, it's hard enough to justify $8.99 for just Mandalorian. Unless, they add live sports which is unlikely for Canada.

·
Registered
316 Posts
My guess is overtime the Star catalogue in Canada will become more robust because they will no longer license out to Crave / CTV / Bell content and keep it all in house and whatever Hulu / Star content that has been licensed will not be renewed when the time comes. Only exceptions for this could be FX content which would need to be retained by Rogers since they have the FX Channel in Canada, Freeform content to ABC Spark for the same reason as FX but with Corus and TSN holding ESPN content which would not be a big deal to Disney as they already hold a significant stake in TSN so it is almost like keeping the content in house to them at that point anyway financially.

·
Super Moderator
19,080 Posts
My guess is overtime the Star catalogue in Canada will become more robust because they will no longer license out to Crave / CTV / Bell content and keep it all in house and whatever Hulu / Star content that has been licensed will not be renewed when the time comes.
There's a good chance that current Hulu series will continue with their existing contracts, such as The Handmaid's Tale on Crave. It will depend exactly how the contract is written. I expect any new Hulu originals will be exclusive to Star. (EDIT: I confirmed Season 4 of The Handmaid's Tale will return to CTV Drama in 2021.)

Another point to clarify is there is a separate service call Star+ that is only available in Latin America for the local equivalent of $7.50 U.S. per month, that includes some ESPN live sports. ESPN will not be available on the plain Star service outside of Latin America.

·
Registered
10,164 Posts
My guess is overtime the Star catalogue in Canada will become more robust because they will no longer license out to Crave / CTV / Bell...
I wouldn't count on it. Bell has deep pockets and a captive audience. They might pay whatever it takes and raise prices to keep the content. Star on Disney could end up being Star light.

Only exceptions for this could be FX content which would need to be retained by Rogers since they have the FX Channel in Canada, Freeform content to ABC Spark for the same reason as FX...
Rogers and other Canadian broadcasters are less inclined to spend big money on content. They could just let programming contracts expire and let FX, ABC Spark and their kin become zombie channels. The broadcasters would keep getting paid by having their zombie channels in big packages.

·
Registered
10,164 Posts
The problem is that most of the major networks and specialty channels are now owned by a handful of large media companies. Streaming services appear to be turning into large packages of content just like conventional TV. One thing is sure, broadcasters and studios will want to maintain their income in the short term and increase it in the long term. That means tighter control of programming assets, more concentration of ownership and higher prices.

·
Registered
10,164 Posts
Just like broadcasters, the smaller streaming companies won't be viable in the long run. They will either shut down, consolidate or be acquired by bigger competitors. It's all about content and the big players are the only ones owning or making enough of it to keep subscribers.

·
Super Moderator
19,080 Posts
Wish Star was an addon instead of being forced into, paying 3$ more for content I'll mostly never watched is a bit much...
The basic Disney+ is also going up by $1 to $7.99 in the U.S. (about $10.20 Canadian) so the Star portion is less than $2. They'll also be adding a lot of content to both Disney + and Star.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
I dono if Disney+ is worth $11.99, it's hard enough to justify $8.99 for just Mandalorian. Unless, they add live sports which is unlikely for Canada.
You can pay yearly as well, for $89.99. Which comes only $7.50 a month.

Might be worth doing so before prices go up.

Though if Manadalorian is worth $8.99 a month, with the announcement they are going to have 8 Star Wars series (including two Mandalorian spin-offs), perhaps $11.99 is a bargain. :)

·
Registered
10,164 Posts
The other option would be to subscribe for 3 or 4 months out of the year and binge while subscribed. That is about half the price of an annual membership at the old price.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The way streaming is starting to shape up we will be wishing for the cable packages to come back.
Fragmentation of content is bad business for consumers and for producers as well.
People soon enough will start to make decisions on which services to keep as I cant imagine people will be willing to pay over say 50 bucks for different streaming services, definitely not the hundreds of dollars that people were paying for cable.
The problem with streaming is that the streaming service will only make revenue if people are subscribed to their service while with the traditional cable they would get paid regardless if people watched their channel or not, they got paid because people subscribed to the package that the channel was included.
And its inevitable ads will be coming to streaming services as well and they will be more obnoxious than on TV nowadays (You think youtube ads are bad?)

Streaming services now are nice but I think the honeymoon will be over soon.

I know I wont.

·
Registered
69 Posts
This is why i own a large DVD / Bluray collection. I have over 250 movies, and over 30 TV shows in box sets.
It takes me over 2 years to watch it all if that was on only thing i watched.
I also have Amazon prime and Tubi TV, b-movie tv, and B-zone that i watch. Plus HD OTA channels and more Youtube channels than i can count.

With all this content i do not need Netflix and Crave TV.

·
Administrator
525 Posts
Streaming services will increase costs each year as will the internet companies we need to access the content. The same big companies will be getting paid no matter how we consume our programming.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
The other option would be to subscribe for 3 or 4 months out of the year and binge while subscribed. That is about half the price of an annual membership at the old price.
I'll ask my 8-year old what he thinks about that, but I suspect the vote will be no. :)

Kind of a no-brainer if you have kids.

·
Registered
10,164 Posts
In that case think of it as two subscriptions, Disney+ for younger family members and Star for the adults. I've got to wonder how much of the Star content will remain once Canadian broadcasters cherry pick the best content and overpay to get exclusive rights, like they do with all the other streaming services.

181 - 200 of 211 Posts