Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I'd take a mail-in-rebate over this program...

Initial reaction: Sounds great! Then I went to the site and my reaction changed.

No kidding the website is having problems. Either that or we ended up at different websites. I just went there, and the process outlined has the feel of a slightly tweaked mail-in-rebate (MIR) program:
  • Fill out a form
  • Send in proof of DVD purchase tabs (no receipt required, for obvious reasons)
  • mail all of the above
  • 8-10 weeks later, coupon(s) are delivered via email
Coupon itself appears to simply be an $8 discount toward the corresponding BD, and is valid at participating retailers for 30 days after printing.

True, we're "allowed" to keep the original DVDs. Course at an $8 discount, we better get to keep 'em. And that's assuming these retailers have the cheapest prices for these BD titles. If they don't, the discount is less than $8.

On the plus side, the site's terms indicate it's set to run through Dec. 31st, 2010, and that it should cover new BD releases. That brings up the issue of timing though. BD titles are often a few dollars cheaper during the first few days of release. If the coupon lands in your inbox during that window...great! Otherwise, the discount is again smaller than $8. Ugh.

Previous discount coupons were a better deal (Bolt, Snow White, and Up!). Those had:
  • a higher discount--$10 discount instead of $8
  • you could print them right away--no need to wait 2 months or more, no worries about missing the initial lower price window
Only problem was that stores didn't always know about the coupons (and/or Disney would release them too late for the stores to know about).

To me--and I have a huge distaste for MIRs--this program is even worse than a MIR. With a "regular" MIR, you get the new product right away. Why can't I just buy the title on BD, send in the form and corresponding DVD proof-of-purchase, and wait two months for a cheque? Then I'd be in control of the purchase time frame (i.e. could take advantage of sale pricing), and I wouldn't be waiting for the BD. Perhaps they had to protect consumers from buying the wrong title and therefore ending up with invalid rebate forms... Ugh.

Hopefully this upgrade program is still under construction. At least it's not a "US only" program... There I found a positive about it. ;)

Anyway, with the 8-10 week waiting period for the coupon, I really don't see this driving many holiday purchases at all. Who wants to buy a new BD player for Christmas and then wait two months for BDs?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're right...I mis-read (and thus misrepresented in the first post). I'll edit for clarity.

NOT SO good of a deal now. I also hate mail-in rebates, but at least this one is in advance versus after you've already paid out your money.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I looked into it, but I only have one movie that I'd be interested in getting, and that's Monsters Inc., which has a better deal going in combo with Up.

The discs should be $8, not the coupon!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts