Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you use the same LNB on a 75 cm dish as you do on a 60 cm? A friend of mine was saying that there is a difference and this is going to cause him some problems. I thought the same LNB could be mouinted on either size of dish?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Definitely NOT. The LNBs have different focusing points to accommodate for the size of the dish. There will be text on the LNB label indicating which dish it is appropriate for.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you're in Kingston, there's a very rare chance that you will need a 75e. Your friend should be just fine with the 60e - and if he already have an LNB, he might not want to mickey mouse around. Getting the damn thing working must be more important than anything, hah.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A 60 on a 75 dish will normally work ok, but not as good as using a 75 on a 75 dish. If you try to use a 75 on a 60 dish the result is worse.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I should explain my friends situation a little better. He has a home dish and a second portable dish and receiver setup that he carries in his RV. Two years ago he purchased a small place in a trailer park in Florida. The first year he was down there he took his RV dish which is a 60e with him and barely got it to work. Signal strength in the low 60's. Last year before he went down in November he purchased a 75e from Shaw. It came with an xLNB so when he set it up he had to get his receiver hit by Shaw. He left the 75e dish with xLNB setup in Florida and came back this year in April and had his RV receiver reflashed back to the non-xLNB format. This was just before the HAFH program was changed and US satellite setups were no longer supported by Shaw. So now he has a 75e with a xLNB in Florida and his RV receiver is set to the old LNB which he can't ask Shaw to reflash since his home setup still uses the old quad LNB. If he phones Shaw and asks for an xLnb for his home setup he will probably not get a second for his RV dish etc... So I told him the simplest solution would be to take a non-xLNB down with him and switch out the xLnb on his 75E. This way his receiver will not need to be re-flashed however I wanted to check and make sure the LNB's were not dish size specific which it appears they are. I guess the next step will be to try to find a used LNB for a 75e dish and take that with him or try it with a 60e LNB.

·
Registered
240 Posts
He left the 75e dish with xLNB setup in Florida and came back this year in April and had his RV receiver reflashed back to the non-xLNB format...... If he phones Shaw and asks for an xLnb for his home setup he will probably not get a second for his RV dish etc... So I told him the simplest solution would be to take a non-xLNB down with him and switch out the xLnb on his 75E.
If, as you explain, he already has the xku lnb on his 75E dish in Florida, all he needs to do is upgrade his local 60E dish to an xku. Now, both locations use the same type of lnb and software changes no longer need to be made as he travels.

Since the HAFH plan is discontinued for non-Canadian locations, it has been suggested that one not mention the second location when discussing things with SD. The have no way of knowing where the receivers are located as long as they are not plugged into a telephone line or internet. ( ie: don't use video on demand or pay per view while south of the border)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I see what your saying now, so he would need his home upgraded and need to purchase a new xKu lnb for his trailer.

He could bring a quad to florida but with the new channels he may as well just switch every thing to xKu....will cost a bit but he saves hundreds by not paying separate bills each year.

·
Registered
240 Posts
From your earlier comments, I gathered that the trailer location ( Florida) already has the upgraded xku lnb.....so no further action required there. All he needs to do is upgrade the non-xku lnb at his home and he is away to the races.

Shaw has been upgrading the lnbs for about $50 including installation.....possibly for free if your friend is a long term, high value customer.

He would be well advised to not discuss the HAFH issue with the rep.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
MrCanuck your friend would have a good excuse for getting a new LNB at home so he can get the new channels! Altho he'll have to make sure he has everything else he needs for G1 like the right rcvr. Also maybe Skifan or someone can tell you whether a 60 dish can get G1 but I think it can with the right lnb. So like Skifan said tell your friend not to say anything about HAFH just have him upgrade like he wants the G1 channels.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As most have suggested it would appear to simplify things to have his home setup upgraded to xLNB however his concern is that Shaw would only allow him one new xLNB for his home - the RV dish would not be covered since this would be a second location. He cannot use the xLNB from his Florida dish since it is for a 75e and he really doesn't want to take the Florida dish down with him and bring it back and forth with him each year. Finding a used non-xLNB for a 75e would allow him to swap out the Florida dish LNB and have all three setups working with no call to Shaw.

·
Registered
240 Posts
his concern is that Shaw would only allow him one new xLNB for his home -
New xku lnbs, of either dish size, can be purchased without having to go through Shaw. Check the likes of ebay, amazon, craigslist, kijiji etc for those options.

Shaw does not know how many of the xku lnbs one has unless you tell them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you do manage to cheat the system, so to speak, never speak of it to a retailer, designate, or Shaw. If you are dumb enough to drop hints, you are leaving yourself vulnerable to having your account shut down or suspended.

I've seen it far too many times recently. You don't want to go down that road, as a few locals have had some pretty hefty account balances billed to them after a suspension and shut down.

Just be smart and keep it hush hush.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"Just be smart and keep it hush hush."

That's exactly why he doesn't want to phone Shaw at this point. He's already down as a HAFH user. He has no interest in the HD locals on the new sat so phoning and upgrading his home account to the xLNB is a risk and expense he doesn't want to take. I have already found him a old quad LNB which is rated for a 75e dish so he should be able to take that down with him to Florida and install it in the place of the xLNB. Now all of his dishes will match his 2 receivers. No calling Shaw required.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you need a non xLNB for a 75E, I have one. I just finished swapping out the original 75E LNB for a xLNB and have no use for the original. It's yours for the price of the shipping. It was headed to the dump this morning. Send a PM if you're interested.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Mike P. If no one has responded to you i would accept your offer for the LNB. I don't know how to send a PM though.
Thank you.

·
Registered
519 Posts
not sure if this is the correct thread, but it's the closest I could find.

anyway, I will be installing the new lnb this weekend. Before doing so, what do I need to do so I don't kill my receivers? do I disconnect/unplug all my receivers? I have them connected via 5x8 multiswitch. do I power off and unplug the receivers? do i also disconnect the RG-6? can i just then disconnect them all at the multiswitch?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts