Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hope nobody minds me creating a thread on discussion for the DPP Twin LNB. There seems to be a lot of confusion and discussion is scattered across many threads.

This is what I gathered from the threads out there:

- The DPP Twin LNB is NOT officially supported by Bell Expressvu but it does work for a number of Bell receivers.
- It is an integrated LNB that looks like two normal LNBs glued together and it fits into the "Y" end of the satellite dish arm.
- There are three cable connections on the unit. Two are outputs and one is an additional satellite dish input that would not be used in Bell's case because there are only two sats right now (91 degrees and 82 degrees). If you were on Dish Network, you could chain an additional sat dish as input to the DPP Twin for additional satellite locations. The signal would then be available to the two outputs.
- You can only hook up two receivers with it. If you want 4, you need a DPP44 switch
- It is generally not available in Canada
- You must use RG6 cable throughout rated for 950-2140 Mhz. RG59 (normal house cable) may cause signal loss.

Why do I want one?

The biggest reason is that you can continue to use a single RG6 cable to a DPP compatible dual tuner receiver like the 9200 or 5200 line. You would then use a device called a "seperator" to separate the single line to two lines for input into the two inputs on the dual tuners. It will also work for two dual tuner receivers.

Where can I get one?

Ebay, Dish Network retailers in the USA that will ship to Canada

Where is the manual?

I found a copy of the manual at http://www.dishretailer.com/dpp/dpptwin.pdf It has great information on how to install it and can answer additional questions. Because it is a Dish Network based manual, it talks about satellites on 119 and 110 degrees. Simply substitute 91 and 82 degrees respectively. You also need to know the Dish Network model numbers that are equivilent to the Bell units.

Any quick diagrams?

ken0042 provided some great diagrams in the 9200 Installation 101 thread that really help.

I don't have one yet but have ordered one and I'm sure I'll have questions when it arrives :)

Hope this helps,
santo

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Hopefully that will clear up the questions.

Since we are on the topic of DPP.

A DDP44 switch can have 4 receivers. It can handle a max. of 3 duals ( I read that somewhere).

So you can have lets say. A 9200, 5200, 5900 and 3100.

To use the DPP44 switch you will need either:

A dishpro lnb. Have not been able to confirm if it has to be twin or quad or either.

Or you can use a Dishpro PLUS lnb.

You can not use any legacy lnb's. So the legacy quad and all lnb's that Bell ships (duals) will NOT work.

Joe

·
Registered
61 Posts
Using a DPP Twin LNBF, can I use a separator to run two single tuner receivers? Or is the separator only for use with dual tuner receivers? If the separator can be used to run two single tuner receivers, then if you only have three receivers (say a 9200, 5800 and 3100), you don't need to splurge on a DP44.

Can you mount a separator outside (are they weather-proofed)? How long should the cable length from the separator to the receiver be (min, max, ideal)?

Is there anyway for me to couple an OTA antenna signal with the DPP Twin signal and then de-couple it before using a separator on the DPP Twin signal? I know that coupling and de-coupling like this is possible with legacy LNBFs, but the question is specific to DPP LNBFs with the use of the separator. The goal is to have an OTA antenna (likely something like the Terk HD-TVS), and then couple it's output with the output from a DPP Twin so that I only need to run one cable to my 9200. I would then de-couple the OTA signal from the DPP Twin signal, route the OTA signal into the 9200's ATSC tuner and then split the DPP Twin signal using a DPP separator for a feed into both of the 9200's satellite tuners.

- dvdrat

PS. If the third question is off-topic for this thread, please let me know and I'll delete it and create another thread (or post in the 9200 installation thread). It just seemed relevant to the DPP Twin discussion.

·
Registered
61 Posts
dvdrat said:
Using a DPP Twin LNBF, can I use a separator to run two single tuner receivers? Or is the separator only for use with dual tuner receivers?
Answering my own question, I just saw (in the PDF link that santo posted) the following:

A DP Plus Separator allows a DP Plus dual-tuner receiver to be fed by a single cable – it cannot be used to feed two single-tuner receivers.

So for more than two receivers using a DPP Twin, you must use a DPP44 switch.

- dvdrat

·
Registered
40 Posts
Difference between Dish 500 and Bell Dishes

I am planning to get some DPP equipment to hook up some additional receivers. I have the regular Bell Express VU dish right now (I think it is 20" but not sure). Will the DPP LNBs fit OK on the Bell Dish or do I need to get a DISH 500?

I realize that the Y adapater for DPP is different.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Y adaptor is the same and dish lnb's work on bell dish.

Be careful as 27xx, 47xx, old receiver don't work with dish pro or dish pro plus. You need legacy equipment. Note also that dish pro won't work with a separator (I've tried). You need dish pro plus if this is what you wanna do.

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
Just to correct one point, cyberchem. 27XX and 4XXX receivers will work with Dish Pro Plus (DPP), as long as there is at least one Dish Pro receiver also hooked up.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ken, should it be the same with dishpro?
I had problems with my 6000 perhaps it was because of the separator I've tried. Can't remember for sure. I tried with a 3100 and a 6000.
Will have to test again.

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
A 6000 will also not work with Dish Pro, or with a seperator.

And one of the big differences between Dish Pro, and Dish Pro Plus, is the ability to use legacy receivers with DPP.

As well, DPP allows the use of a seperator with the following Bell receivers: 5200, 9200, and I'm pretty sure 3200. (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.)

·
Registered
61 Posts
cyberchem said:
Anybody know if the dishpro lnb could me modded to a dishpro plus?
Not likely, as there are significant design differences between the two. There are also some key differences in the "code" running on the internal switches.

It's is far easier and cheaper to just buy a new DPP Twin, if you only have oneor two receivers. If you have more than two receivers, then you'll need a DPP44, which are not cheap (though you may find a deal online) so you would need to carefully evaluate the costs/benefits.

In some cases (multiple dual tuner receivers plus one or more legacy/single tuner receivers is a classic example), Dish Pro Plus is definitely the way to go.

- dvdrat

·
Registered
611 Posts
Lengthy cable runs with DPP?

Are there any differences between legacy and DPP when it comes to looooong cable runs? I haven't seen this noted anywhere, but what would be the longest practical run using a DPP twin + separator scenario?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hey Digital79..

I got my DPP LNBF and Seperator for $56.35 Canadian (which included shipping to Alberta) from a U.S. Ebay auction and the seller does have an Ebay store.

I don't think the forum allows me to name the store/seller...so PM me if interested in that information.

Thanks

FortMacDude

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Got my DPP twin and 2 separators from a seller on ebay with a very good reputation. Approx. 46-47 CDN which included insured shipping via USPS. Got it 5 days later and no custom fees.

Joe

1 - 20 of 57 Posts