Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into the ExpressVu 6120, but I'm not crazy about being locked into a 24 month contract.

1) There are Dish Network HD811 HD satellite systems out there for sale (US version of 6120)... is it a good idea to buy a HD 811 if you are planinng on subscribing to ExpressVu here in Canada?

2) Can one update the 811's software/firmware with the ExpressVu service?

3) How does having the 811 affect the ability to subscribe to ExpressVu?

4) any other advice / comments / tips / suggestions??

Howie

·
Registered
190 Posts
1) no

2) no

3) you can't sub to expressvu with an 811 from the states

4) you cannot use dish equipment from the states to subscribe to expressvu. there are ways around it, but you can't discuss it here so don't ask.

if you're currently not an expressvu sub then there's really nothing you can do without getting locked into a 12 or 24 month contract. if you are an existing sub then you are able to add a 6100 receiver without locking in.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the help! I don't want to do anything illegal, I was just wondering if the 811 was a legal (and cheaper) option for me.

·
Banned
6,296 Posts
Some Dishnet receivers will work with EV if they are new and haven't been activated for Dishnet. Once they are activated they are locked into the system and cannot easily be changed. One issue, especially with newer models, is that EV does not support all of Dishnet's receivers. There may not be firmware on EV's system to download for activation. EV will not want to activate any Dishnet receiver so you are probably better off just buying a receiver from EV.

You can avoid a contract by buying and activating a used 6100. EV charges $35-$50 for doing this on a new account. Used receivers tend to be overpriced and may have problems that prevent them from being activated. Make sure any used receiver is not hacked, is in good working order and has the smart card (if not internal.)

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
If you have an 811 that has never been activated then it will download the Bell s/w. Bell can activate it, but it isn't likely that they will.
A used 6100 is probably a good idea. Just make sure it doesn't have a balance or hasn't been hacked etc.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The 811 (even if new) won't download bell firmware - they fixed that little "glitch" with newer IRDs. Even if it did download firmware bell can't sub it because is uses an internal smartcard - and the card inside an 811 is for dish only.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bought a "5100" that was a Dish 501 that someone had put EV software on. I didn't think it would work, but it did! He just had an EV card in it.

Is this common? Did this guy have some kind of internal contact? People on another forum basically said that I was lying.

I wanted to buy a 522, download software, and get EV to add it to my account;several people said NO.

I really wish we could do that! I would love to grab those 942s from Dish and make a 9200!! Then I could have 2 9200s!

·
Banned
724 Posts
michaelb said:
I really wish we could do that! I would love to grab those 942s from Dish and make a 9200!! Then I could have 2 9200s!
My 9200 went 0551 last October (prior to the fix it yourself solution being released on this forum) and BEV sent me a 942 as a replacement. I believe any US receiver that has a Canadian version will work here... Once you connect the Sat feeds, it downloads the appropriate firmware from the Sats... As long as you don't mention to them the US model number and just give them all the other "relevant" info they need... i'm pretty sure it will work.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I purchased the 3150 package (a 3120 and a 3100r) over a year ago. The 3100r had a sticker on the back that says the model numbers and serial # etc. I peeled back the sticked and it said Dish 301, but I guess Bell has the ability to do this since they must be purchasing refurbs from Dish.

·
Banned
6,296 Posts
EV has the ability to activate Dish receivers but the official policy is to not do so. If you can sneak one past a CSR or otherwise get them to activate it then good for you. Since EV charges $75 for a replacement smart card, it's probably better just to buy a new receiver in many cases.

·
Registered
754 Posts
TheSteve said:
The 811 (even if new) won't download bell firmware - they fixed that little "glitch" with newer IRDs. Even if it did download firmware bell can't sub it because is uses an internal smartcard - and the card inside an 811 is for dish only.
This is the correct response.
They would activate older models with a EV smart card in the slot but this model has a built in Dishnet CAM chip which they will not activate. Save yourself the trouble and just look for a used 6100.

·
Registered
693 Posts
TheSteve said:
I hate to disagree, but if the IRD is new and has not downloaded the firmware you can attach it to either Dish or Bell and get their firmware on any model that both support.

Fire up a Bell or Dish 3100-010 without attaching it to the RG6 and you will note that it has Dish pages. Attach the RG6 connected to Bell and it downloads Bell's firmware...if instead you attached to RG6 connected to Dish you get Dish firmware.

Then you have the problem of Bell/Dish not 'authorizing' the other's IRD!! That some people claim to have beaten, but I do not know if Bell/Dish simply let a few in by mistake.

The best ones were Dish 4500s (virgin) which when attached to Bell became 4700s...LOL

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
A friend just bought a 5900 that had all Dish firmware out of the box. It actually though it was supppose to be connected to 110/119 and kept saying wrong satellite when connected to 82/91.

·
Registered
754 Posts
visiter555 said:
I hate to disagree, but if the IRD is new and has not downloaded the firmware you can attach it to either Dish or Bell and get their firmware on any model that both support.
This no longer works on the 4100, 6100 or any of the dual tuner models. The receivers are now preprogrammed to only obtain EV firmware.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts