Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking for some input. I want to avoid screwing the dish into the roof (sloped, shingled). There is a steel 2 1/2 inch pole running up the side of my house an onto the roof that seems to be facing in the perfect direction. It seems to be a type of conduit for electrical wires. It seems sturdy enough to hold a Bell dish so I was thinking of clamping or bolting my dish to it. If anyone has done this type of installation I would appreciate a little instruction on how I can Macgyver this thing into a nice solid install.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Using a Hydro Stack for mounting a Satellite Dish is just so wrong.

If you have no where on a wall, you should consider digging a hole and erecting a pole, away from your Hydro lines, where it is safe.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
U-bolts should work just fine. 3" u-bolts are the perfect size for the foot of a Bell dish. Although, you'll probably have to make the bolt holes just a tad bigger to get the U-bolts through. I'm not sure how well 3" u-bolts will work on a 2.5" pole though.

What is the pole made out of?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
And yes, what Pinza said. I must have completely skipped over the part that said "It seems to be a type of conduit for electrical wires." :p

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
You can also wall mount dish installations....
Not too difficult.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I always wall mount - never on the roof. Keeps the dish accessible for snow cleaning and I don't end up with holes in the roof.

·
Registered
832 Posts
U_T_C says it appears to be a conduit for wires. If there were hydro wires coming out of it then that would confirm his suspicion. I'm guessing the hydro is now underground and the pole was never removed. If that's the case then the pole would be a good solid mount I think.

Only U_T_C can confirm this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is in fact a pole where hydro wires enter the top, go inside the pole and go into the house. I'll try to post a pic. I planned to mount it on the opposite side of the wires (so it would not hinder any of the wires. From your responses I'm starting to think it's not such a great idea). Unfortunately my only other option besides this is screwing it onto the roof. I cannot put the dish onto either side of the house as I have too many obstructions (and due to city bylaws and wife bylaws it cannot be visible from the front of the house.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts