1 - 20 of 58 Posts

· Member #1
45,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Super Moderator
21,286 Posts
DISCOVERY WORLD HD Free Preview Aug. 2-Sept. 1

Actually Hugh, I think you should change the title to say:

Discovery to launch ZERO new channels in Canada.;)

All kidding aside, here's some info from the CTV press release with the "correct" title:

Discovery to Launch Three New Channel Brands In Canada.

DISCOVERY WORLD HD
LAUNCHING: Monday, August 2 / Free Preview Aug. 2-Sept. 1 (at participating television service providers)
Rebrand of Discovery HD

INVESTIGATION DISCOVERY
LAUNCHING: Monday, August 30
Replaces Court TV

DISCOVERY SCIENCE
LAUNCHING: Monday, September 27
Replaces Discovery Civilization

· Member #1
45,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ID is a new channel as it comes from the U.S.

It is not a rebranding.

· Super Moderator
21,286 Posts
I remember this prior discussion where in the U.S., Discovery Civilization was re-branded Discovery Times (a partnership with the New York Times) and then re-branded to Investigation Discovery when the NYT dropped out.

It looks like CTV is dropping Court TV (which is re-branded truTV in the U.S.) and picking up Discovery Science so we don't gain any channels. They are just reshuffling them a little differently.

· Banned
844 Posts
we don't gain any channels.
Sure we do, Discovery Science & Investigation Discovery are new to Canada, they have never been available here before. CTV appears to be dumping channels that no longer exist (CourtTV & Discovery Civilization) and replacing them with existing ones- smart move since they will now have access to programming from both services and can constantly refresh the lineups of these two channels.

Also, TruTV is on the approved list, so if the cable/sat providers want it all they have to do is work out a deal with Turner (who owns the channel) and add it to their lineup.

· Member #1
45,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By your logic then many new channels as Sundance Channel formerly Drive In Classics was a rebrand because its using the existing broadcast license.

I really don't consider scrapping Court TV and replacing it with ID a rebrand. They call it a rebrand to avoid issues with the federal regulator.

To me a rebrand is tweaking an existing format such as going from Discovery HD to Discovery World HD or Discovery Civilization to Discovery science hence why I described two as rebrandings and one was new.

Regardless, I'm not going to argue so call it what you will since it doesn't change what is happening.

· Premium Member
4,179 Posts
Why rebrand Discovery HD? :confused:

Wouldn't this make more sense:

Discovery Civilization to Discovery World? Wouldn't World be better? Civilization more incommon with world then science.

Discovery Health would better off as Discovery Science. Science & Health have more in common then World? :confused:

Discovey Investigation? to court TV? not sure Court TV US was rebranded as True TV.

· Registered
939 Posts
While I am glad to see these channel changes, I really think they need to make a full time HD Simulcast of the SD Discovery channel. I get annoyed not being able to watch shows in HD, or even upconverted if thats how it had to be, at the same time they are on the flagship.

· Banned
844 Posts
In my mind, a re-brand is when an existing channel changes its format and becomes something else like the Sundance Channel example you gave- looks like my interpretation is wrong?! Also, they are using the same license, that is another reason why I call it a re-brand and not a new channel.

· Registered
681 Posts
Like this move

For us on Shaw Cable we will at least get Discovery Science and Discovery World HD but ID: Investigation Discovery will have to be added back to the lineup since we lost Court TV Canada. Hope Discovery Science will show more space docs and all the other technology shows that the US version does. Got my subscription if it does for sure.

· Super Moderator
21,286 Posts
Doppelganger399, if you receive any of these existing channels listed in post 2 you should get the replacement channel automatically.

DISCOVERY WORLD HD Rebrand of Discovery HD
INVESTIGATION DISCOVERY Replaces Court TV
DISCOVERY SCIENCE Replaces Discovery Civilization

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.