Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Discovery Inc. (U.S.) confirmed on their quarterly conference call that the Discovery+ streaming service would launch in several additional countries including Canada later this year. (Transcript) There weren't many specifics, but some general comments included that they plan to launch with partners in some countries and they plan to offer an ad-lite subscription. In the U.S., the ad-lite subscription is $2 cheaper than ad-free and includes about 3 minutes of ads per hour.

Bell Media is Discovery's original Canadian partner for linear TV with the 4 Canadian Discovery-branded channels and Animal Planet.

Corus became Discovery's other Canadian partner when Discovery purchased Scripps, which brought in HGTV/DIY, Food/Cooking and OWN.

Discovery typically owns a minority interest of about 20% in the Canadian channels. In addition, they operate TLC and American Heroes Channel as foreign channels. They have also launched several programs that are Discovery+ originals and don't appear on linear TV.

Here is a previous discussion in the foreign TV shows thread when Discovery+ launched in the U.S.

EDIT: removed NatGeo

·
Registered
668 Posts
This will be interesting to see what programming they launch with considering the split in properties.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Judging by what's available in the Global App and CTV App's, my guess would be Corus is the partner on this one as most of the Discovery content is not available for streaming from Corus and most of Bell's is. With the exceptions of Food Network and HGTV, none of the content Corus has is on streaming. Nat Geo is I believe Disney content not Discovery so not sure why it's included in this. My guess is they have some sort of agreement where only exclusive content to Discovery+ and content not being aired in Canada from Food Network and HGTV is included and the rest comes from the Global app. Or the content is a season behind for anything from Food Network and HGTV.

·
Super Moderator
18,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for catching my Nat Geo slipup. I corrected my original post.

When I went to discoveryplus.com , it redirected to discoveryplus.ca , so they must be preparing to launch. There's nothing there yet, so it just times out.

I noticed a lot of Corus content is available for streaming on Stack TV, including HGTV.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thanks for catching my Nat Geo slipup. I corrected my original post.

When I went to discoveryplus.com , it redirected to discoveryplus.ca , so they must be preparing to launch. There's nothing there yet, so it just times out.

I noticed a lot of Corus content is available for streaming on Stack TV, including HGTV.
My guess based on what is going on in the states is there will be 2 tiers of content streaming. Everything will be available on Discovery+ and only shows that are being aired will be available streaming via cable app. We already see this here on TLC where all shows that are aired on TV are on demand via Ignite or Bell or your various providers. The Discovery+ app offers additional programming and early releases of some shows a few days before they air on TV. We could see the same thing in Canada or potentially they just omit whatever is being aired on TV (Corus and possibly Bell channels) in current season and all back catalog goes to D+ as well as content made for the app.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts