Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My days of everything unlocked are finished. Since I have Discovery SD I'd though I'd get Discovery HD but nope...

Is this one a pay channel? I'd think so since it's not the same broadcast as with SD....

If so, what is the price by month? Thanks!

·
Registered
131 Posts
$2.99 and you will need to have the SD channel to get the HD channel.
3.99$ a month (not 2.99$) and unless it has changed lately you don't need Discovery SD to get Discovery HD. I can certify that I have Discovery HD but no Discovery SD on my Illico.

·
Registered
393 Posts
From the web site of Videotron :

(2) Access to high-definition versions is possible provided that you currently receive these channels in standard format.

And the "2" refer to Discovery HD.

·
Registered
131 Posts
From the web site of Videotron :

(2) Access to high-definition versions is possible provided that you currently receive these channels in standard format.

And the "2" refer to Discovery HD.
I guess I am grand-fathered....

·
Registered
5 Posts
FORGET Discovery HD

The channel costs $3.99 per month (on Videotron).

Like most (or all) channels that broadcast in "HD", not all the programming is in true HD. However, the main problem is that Discovery HD (Canada) has nothing to show. They have been re-running the same handful of shows since they signed on. They run commercials as well. The most recent (HD) offering was a lame series on a voyage to Mars produced by Galafilm of Montreal. Absolute garbage.

Save your money.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Amen to that YH1 !

I took Discovery HD for a month when I jumped to HDTV ... and cancel it the minute I could :mad:

The SD version of Discovery has good programming but the HD version is a real scam !

·
Registered
27 Posts
idrive, I did the same thing.

Seemed so interesting at first but quickly turned boring when there was nothing new to watch...

Screw the Mars stuff, who wants to see some fictionnal/documentary stuff about a planet no one has been to yet ? !

Unsubscribed after about a month. 3.99$ more in my pockets every month.

If enough people don't subscribe maybe they'll get the message and offer it for free.

·
Registered
23 Posts
well I don't agree with some of you. The programming is great and most of all it's all in HD, not some upconverted crap. Finally one....
Of course they are some reruns but discovery is not a channel to watch 24/7 anyways. I like to watch Mayday and was amazed that it's all in HD so it's great. But what's great above all is that all the commercial breaks are really short like 1min30 so it's worth it.
Just my opinion...

·
Registered
196 Posts
....local CableCo (sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread, just adding info) told me the cost per subscriber to distribute DiscoveryHD is $1.35 to the CableCo. :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts