Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Discovery Channel and Discovery Science channels in the US have scheduled the showing of programs related to the launch next week of the SpaceX Falcon9 / Dragon 2 crew spacecraft.
Apparently the corresponding channels available in the Canadian market have deemed it not important to show these shows.
So instead of showing relevant science-based programming, Discovery would rather show crap. (I looked for a better word but crap represents my feelings pretty well).
Ever since Discovery cancelled Daily Planet they have gone downhill and should be ashamed to call themselves Discovery or Science.

·
Super Moderator
16,670 Posts
The problem may be that the SpaceX special is produced for Discovery Channel by a little company called Storied Media Group, so who knows what would be involved in getting the Canadian rights. The only other program that company produced for Discovery recently was Small Town Throwdown, which also wan't picked up in Canada.

Disney is also producing a SpaceX special through its ABC News and National Geographic divisions, which also won't be available on Nat Geo Canada. The press release mentions several sources for ABC News including Roku and YouTube, so it may be available that way.

I saw a promo on NASA TV yesterday for their coverage. Here's their current schedule and a PDF for the week of May 25.

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
The problem may be that the SpaceX special is produced for Discovery Channel by a little company called Storied Media Group, so who knows what would be involved in getting the Canadian rights. The only other program that company produced for Discovery recently was Small Town Throwdown, which also wan't picked up in Canada.

Disney is also producing a SpaceX special through its ABC News and National Geographic divisions, which also won't be available on Nat Geo Canada. The press release mentions several sources for ABC News including Roku and YouTube, so it may be available that way.

I saw a promo on NASA TV yesterday for their coverage. Here's their current schedule and a PDF for the week of May 25.

·
Registered
8,246 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
FYI Discovery Channel Canada did pick the US feed up for the broadcast. I'd find it safe to assume they will do the same for the next try on Saturday and pick up Discovery Channel USA feed for the SpaceX launch

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
I watched the failed launch on Youtube...the NASA feed. It was 720p resolution. Is there a better feed with 1080p or even 4K resolution.

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
I watched it on the NASA channel on Rogers and found it was quite sharp on a 1080p monitor.

·
Super Moderator
56,457 Posts
NASA on Rogers Cable is 720P. Discovery is 1080i. There are no 1080P "broadcast" channels.

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
NASA on Rogers Cable is 720P. Discovery is 1080i. There are no 1080P "broadcast" channels.

No, but that's what my monitor is capable of.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
One could try the Nasa UHD channel on Roku ... I didn't check it out during Wednesday's launch attempt. Roku

If anyone has it as 1080p or 2160p, it would be there.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Watched Wed through amazonfire on gem and was impressed with video quality. I think it will show tomorrow on NASA tv

·
Super Moderator
16,670 Posts
NASA TV
May 30, Saturday
11 a.m. - continuous live coverage begins
3:22 p.m. - launch scheduled
6:30 p.m. - post-launch news conference

May 31, Sunday
10:27 a.m. - Docking of the SpaceX/DM-2 Crew Dragon

EDIT: Discovery Canada and Discovery Science will carry the U.S. programming after all, 2-4 PM ET.
CNN and Fox News have an hour scheduled from 3-4 PM ET.
ABC, CBS and MSNBC will break in to cover the launch live and I'm sure CTV News and CBC News Network will as well.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Maybe ppl already know this but theres a NASA TV app for Roku so you can watch it on your TV not just on your computer.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Watched the NASA feed on the YouTube app on my Samsung TV. Looked great at 720p.
Take off eh, Bob and Doug.

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
I watched it on NASA TV and it was an excellent picture. I also thought of the McKenzies. ;)

·
Registered
985 Posts
I only just now discovered that the NASA App is available on Apple TV. I wish that I had found this app earlier.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts