Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came home today and found an email from MTS advising :

Discontinuation of MTS Classic TV On-Demand Services
As of December 31, 2012, we will no longer be offering Classic TV On Demand services.

You will be unable to order TV shows and movies from:

Video On Demand
Movie Central On Demand and Super Channel On Demand
Treehouse On Demand (Family Theme Group)
AOV On Demand
Winnipeg On Demand
Call 204-225-5687 (204-CALLMTS) for more information about the On Demand changes to your Classic TV Service

I Wonder if this means the cost will be coming down as they are providing less services.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Classic is soon to be discontinued. It doesn't make sense running two different TV services overlapping. Call MTS and switch to Ultimate.

·
Super Moderator
16,413 Posts
Classic is soon to be discontinued.
Is that just speculation or are there specific timelines?

I'd be surprised if MTS discontinues Classic TV in Winnipeg in the next year. I'm sure it will happen eventually though and they may stop doing new installations.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Classic is soon to be discontinued. It doesn't make sense running two different TV services overlapping. Call MTS and switch to Ultimate.
I was sort of thinking along those lines when the email came out, but are there not still rural parts of Manitoba that don't have access to Ultimate TV and only have Classic?

If so they will still have to keep the separate basic TV data stream running for them.

One other thing that I also noticed is on the MTS Bundle savings preview page they only mention Ultimate as the TV option for the bundle savings.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i haven't heard anything for sure, but it just looks that way. MTS tries hard to get people moved over to Ultimate and they don't seem to push classic. It was be a lot more efficient to have 1 tv service instead of 2. 2 Different things to sell. 2 different things to install. 2 different things to maintain. 2 different things to support.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your right about MTS wanting to move customers over they have been calling me with special promotion offers to move over to Ultimate. It's been calls from a MTS number with a Brandon exchange prefix at least two to three times a month.

I don't have HD TV set and and my VCR still works good enough to time shift the few programs I tape so the PVR is of now interest to me.

So until my Classic 1980's colour set goes to the junkyard I have no interest in paying more for Ultimate and not seeing any difference except for a higher bill.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's too bad the guy that had the TV shop on Henderson Hwy closed down as he was gutting the old console TV's and putting HD screens in to replace the picture tube. For some reason I like the look of the console TV's over the new flat panel units.

If I could convert my Console TV I would have Ultimate in as soon as I could get an installation appointment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Funny that you say MTS is trying to push Ultimate. I've had MTS now two months and I got the Classic service. Three months of 9 packages for $25 and they never suggested or mentioned how much better Ultimate is compared to Classic.

Maybe once my $25 package is over they might but so far nothing in my mail, on my phone or in my email.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts