Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know one cannot sub to DirecTV in Canada.

I do have a place in Quebec around the Lac Saint-Jean area that I stay at for weeks at a time each year. As thus, I am interested in bringing my IRDs along with me while installing a permanant Dish in Quebec.

I do not wish to break any forum rules - and thus the reason for my post here - as I am curious the signal levels in this area before I attempt what might be futile without good signal levels on their Ka Birds.

1) Is it ok to ask this without violating forum rules?

2) if its acceptable, where would I post it?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Moved to proper forum. Your post is acceptable because, to the best of my knowledge, you aren't breaking any rules in this country.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Unless it's particularly hilly in that area, the signal strength should be fine at latitude, 48°40'N, but you might struggle w/ rain-fade on some of the weaker transponders.

On the main transponders, Calgary, AB @ 51°00'N gets a signal strength of 55-75% from the 101/110 DTV sats.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
From what I have seen, Direct TV, uses very small dishes, but if you go by the link you provided the area of La St. Jean is in the area that a 24 inch dish would work. If you went to a 30" or 36" dish it would give some wiggle room to keep the signal high enough to receive it in all but the worst weather conditions.
I have seen many older 39" "Star Choice" dishes at the dump in my area, so you should be able to pick up one cheap.
I don't know anyone who has experience with Direct TV reception, so my answer is only based on theory.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The link provided is for a TracVision HD7 60cm mobile satellite dish, not a stationary dish. Quite frankly, I don't trust that map for precise signal, just wanted to show that the Ku band extends further into Canada than the Ka band, making assumptions of Ka band coverage off Ku band birds impractical.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I'd think that those tracking dishes are very high in gain, but a stationary dish like you would use would not have to track the satellite and a larger dish would have no problem receiving the signal.
Hopefully someone with an RV might see your post and respond to actual experiences with Direct TV.
I know people who travel south as far as Mexico, and receive Shaw Direct (Canadian Sat Provider) with a larger dish, but the satellite footprint says it is not possible.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I had the same stituation before. Being an American born canadian and I have no trouble with the Slimline 5 here in Sask. The spotbeam locals even come in which is very surprising, but again im only 2hrs away from my Montana home. Also I have a Bell dish out in Montana and it works great with little to no signal loss. Now you might not get your locals in Quebec but you should have no problems with other signal levels.

·
Registered
27 Posts
As long as it isn't incredibly far north you should receive signal. DirecTV spot beams all their locals with the exception of the NY and LA national feeds so depending on where your DirecTV sub is located you might be without locals.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Well like I said in my other post. I still get my spotbeam HD locals up here amazingly, but im only 2hrs away, so depending on where the op is located locals might not be a problem. The other ka/ku sats should come in decent enough as well.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Here in southeastern Ontario, the Slimline works great. I am only 80 miles from my Watertown, NY address and have no problem with signal strength. I've tried using the Slimline LNB on a 60cm Starchoice dish, with mixed results. Many of the Ku band signals on 99w and 103w are borderline. I'm trying to find a cheap 75cm Starchoice dish, to see if it has enough surface to get the grade A signal. Still waiting for Directv to add the Watertown locals, to see if the spotbeam works here. There may be an issue with the NBC affiliate, since they will in all likelyhood use the Utica NBC affiliate in this package. I can already receive most of the Watertown stations OTA, save the low power FOX affiliate on RF35.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts