Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, New to this so I'm no techy. If I'm on Telus Satellite at home but would like to set up a box at my cabin which happens to be in the USA just outside Vancouver do I need a Telus dish. It has an existing Direct TV dish (fairly new) from the previous owner. Any help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
That will do nicely, you will just need to re-aim to 91 for SD and 82 for HD. You might need a different switch, not sure what Direct use.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Yes, that is correct.

Have a read through the Bell TV Installation thread for more details and how to do it. Telus use the same 2 birds as Bell TV.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The slimline and phase III both have a triple LNB unit (one piece). The slimline usually will be labelled below the Direct logo.
The dish setup you will hope to have will be made up of no more then two LNBs housed in a single unit (dishpro) or a number of single LNBs attached to the dish via a bracket and an external switch joining the cables.
There are so many different variations possible based on the age of the setup and the package the previous owner subscribed to. Best bet would be to get some photos of setup. Close ups of the LNB(s) being most useful.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
two LNBs housed in a single unit (dishpro)
So DirecTv also use DishPro.?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will take pic's next time I'm down at the cabin. Regardless I'm just glad I can use a telus receiver even if I have to buy another dish. If I do have to buy a dish what is the cost and a good site. Since the cabin is in the States I can have it shipped to there.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I would suggest looking for a Dishnetwork Dish 500, then get a DPP Twin LNBF, if you are taking a 6131 receiver you will not need anything else, if you are getting a 9241, you will need a DPP Separator, and the only cable required will be 1 RG6 from Dish/LNBF to Receiver.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again for the quick reply Pinza, is there a "favourite" or trusted on line site or store that you can recommend.

·
Super Moderator
16,883 Posts
@elhew01, since Telus Satellite is just a re-branded Bell service, you can also use a Bell dish. That might be more convenient for you.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Not to confuse matters....but I have seen "FTA" dishes going cheap as there are many systems out there that will never see the airwaves again. You may even have a neighbor that will pay you to take it down.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm starting to learn a from you guy's already! I've got lot's of options now. I take it that the FTA system's are not as reliable as a server such as Bell/Telus. The only reason I was going to use Telus is friends of ours were going to let us set up through there account. Saving us a wack of money since were not down at the cabin regularily. Anything that works is fine. Believe it or not it get's so quiet there the "Silence is deafening" on top of that I don't want to miss any Canuck's games, so I need those channel's.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
The reason i suggested a Dish 500 and not a Bell branded Dish is that Bell is not officially allowed down in the States and the Dish 500 is now old technology from Dish Network, as more people are moving to the Dish 100 etc, meaning lots of cheap Dish 500's around.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts