Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
I noticed the same thing regarding the volume. I really had to turn up the TV volume when watching on Bell rather than on my Apple TV. Plus the mentioned US issues, where I can get US on Apple but not on Bell. It will be handy on the other TV though, where we don't have to mess with the PS3 to get onto it, just tune to 1311.

·
Registered
102 Posts
A bit off topic: but how does one tell what resolution a Netfix show is received, streaming to a HD TV ? In other words, is it in 720p; 1080i; 1080p ?

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
^^^^^I would say whatever your set top box is sending at the moment. 720p or 1080i would be my best guess.

·
Registered
102 Posts
OK, thanks. I'm not using the Fibe App; rather the Netflix button on my Sony remote.

I have set my Fibe resolution to 1080p and I am wondering how to determine what resolution I am receiving from streaming Netflix shows to my TV ? Or to my laptop for that matter ?

·
Super Moderator
17,491 Posts
I think you can press the info button on the device that is playing Netflix. If you have the Netflix app on your TV, press info on your TV remote or if you are using a Blu-ray player, use the info button on the Blu-ray remote.

PCs are limited to 720p unless you are using Internet Explorer or the Windows store app (Window 8 or higher) due to DRM issues. I think "ctrl+alt+shift+s" at the same time will show the bitrate - 3000 for 720p and 5800 for 1080p.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Subtitles problem with Bell Fibe/Netflix

Hi everyone!

There is a problem with the subtitles when using the Netflix app from Bell Fibe: it doesn't use the font/color/size as it is determined by the user from his Netflix parameters. To make things worst, the font the size and the white color make the subtitles very hard to read, at least for my old eyes.

I did a bit a search and found that custom subtitles were introduced with the Netflix firmware version 3. The previous versions doesn't support custom subtitles. So, it's likely that Bell installed Netflix firmware version 2, an odd decision, if you ask me.

Hope they fix this issue, because as it is right now, I just can't use Bell Fibe as a Netflix source.

·
Super Moderator
17,491 Posts
@GuyT Welcome to the forum.

I found this link which implies that Netflix doesn't support that feature on all devices. It's hard to say if and when Netflix will add that capability to their Mediaroom app and how long it will take the providers like Bell and Telus to test and install the new version. I've noticed that not all Netflix features are supported on all devices.
Not a fan of how the subtitles and captions look? We've made it possible for you to customize the appearance of Netflix subtitles and captions, which will change the look of subtitles and captions on many Netflix ready devices.
Source: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/372

·
Registered
2 Posts
@Dr.Dave

I would think that the new version that corrects the subtitle issue is available since 2014.

I found that when I was looking for an alternative to Bell for Netflix viewing. One of them is a Sony Blue Ray player. They even have a Netflix button on the remote control.

I was unsure about the subtitle issue, so I asked on Amazon the question and got a reply from a Sony representative. Here it is:

Hello Guyt! Yes, this unit comes with the Netflix version 3, which will allow you to customize the subtitles through the settings of your account . For more information please visit the following links:

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/51578
https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/51877

~Jeannette, Sony Support
The given links gave me the information on different versions of Netflix firmware and on how they deal with subtitles.

So, I wonder if Bell Fibe has constrains that forbids them to install the newer firmware (again, available since 2014) or carelessly installed a previous version of the Netflix firmware.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I use the Netflix app on my Bell Aiant Fibe TV all the time ! I've given up the old relics of the past of watching it on my Laptop and Tablet. I wonder if Rogers/Bell/Bell Aliant will ever strike up a deal to add Shomi. Anyways, doesn't matter for now, my mother has Shomi for free as apart of her Rogers Package. All I did was install the app on my Apple TV 4 that comes with a Siri remote, log into her My Rogers account which she didn't mind letting me do to simply watch Shomi and I get Shomi ABSOLUTELY free.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Popping sound on Netflix App (on receiver)??

I have a few of the latest series of Netflix (such as Dark, Stranger Things and Black Mirror) where I noticed some annoying and pretty loud "popping" in the audio. Then I watched these series from the Netflix App of my LG Smart TV, instead of the Bell Fibe Netflix App and the sound is perfect.

Not a big deal since I have Smart TVs everywhere in the house, but I just find the Bell Fibe Netflix App more convenient to use...

Anyone noticed this issue? I am just curious about it...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Haven been in forum for a while. Just saw this question.

I can confirm. Constant popping sound through Bell Fibe Pvr, also, every skip back or forward drops video quality to SD for many seconds. Stopped using PVR for Netflix and switched full time to PS4.

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
I haven't heard of "popping" issues with audio in quite a while, however, years ago it was attributed to certain (typically less expensive) audio equipment not handling the switch from DD2.0 (during pause, FF, etc) to DD5.1 when play is again initiated, and vice versa.

You can test this by setting the output format from your (sending) device to DD2.0 or PCM which would preclude the audio switching and hence the popping. Some sending devices also mute the audio during FF, etc, or "stay" on DD5.1 (the last audio format until another format is actually there), thereby also eliminating the popping.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Haven been in forum for a while. Just saw this question.

I can confirm. Constant popping sound through Bell Fibe Pvr, also, every skip back or forward drops video quality to SD for many seconds. Stopped using PVR for Netflix and switched full time to PS4.
Thank you very much for your answer, no matter if it's a bit late (LOL). Glad to see that I don't have an isolate issue. I also found that skipping back/forward on Netflix App (from Bell Fibe receiver) is a P.I.T.A... so I ended doing pretty much the same workaround as you and using my Netflix App from my LG Smart TV instead of Bell Fibe App. I just found the Bell Fibe App more convenient because I haven't to switch input on TV and mess with the TV remote. But it's not such a big problem!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I haven't heard of "popping" issues with audio in quite a while, however, years ago it was attributed to certain (typically less expensive) audio equipment not handling the switch from DD2.0 (during pause, FF, etc) to DD5.1 when play is again initiated, and vice versa.

You can test this by setting the output format from your (sending) device to DD2.0 or PCM which would preclude the audio switching and hence the popping. Some sending devices also mute the audio during FF, etc, or "stay" on DD5.1 (the last audio format until another format is actually there), thereby also eliminating the popping.
Not sure if you read initial question correctly, but I am having this issue with the built-in Netflix App of my BELL FIBE TV receiver and I don't want to mess in my audio settings in the receiver (not even sure I can change these setting into a TV receiver), because I have no issues with sound outside the Netflix App. By the way I am connected to a LG Smart TV with no external sound system.

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
It should be possible to check if the setting makes a difference by going into your audio settings of the set top box and selecting say PCM. Since you're listening via a TV this should make no difference to the audio quality since the TV doesn't have surround sound.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts