Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,234 Posts
The panel noted that Money for Nothing would be acceptable for broadcast if suitably edited.
Whenever I heard the song on local radio, the offending word was muted. No biggie. Muting or changing inappropriate or offensive words has been going on for a long time.

Heck, it was years before I found out that the actual lyrics of Steve Miller's "Jet Airliner" were not "funky kicks goin' down in the city". :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Careful. Don't let these people know about any more classic rock songs that might be 'inappropriate' for Canadians. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Dire Straits' 'Money for Nothing' should be censored, broadcast panel rules

OTTAWA - The 1980s song "Money for Nothing" by the British rock band Dire Straits has been deemed unacceptable for play on Canadian radio.
In a ruling released Wednesday, the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council says the song contravenes the human rights clauses of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters' Code of Ethics and Equitable Portrayal Code.
You can actually read the official ruling at http://www.cbsc.ca/english/decisions/2011/110112.php

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
...and your chicks for free.

I agree with the decision. Calling young women, "chicks", is degrading to both women and infant birds.

What? That's not what we are talking about?? ;)

Actually, I can remember that back in the 80's the offending word was replaced with "freak" for air play. No big deal. Everybody knew the real word, and nobody, regardless of orientation, paid any attention to it. Times change.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Can the CBSC do anything? Does it have legal standing to do anything except whine?

Can it throw a radio station out of the Cdn Association of Broadcaster and if so what does that do ?

Can it complain to the local Human rights commision?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I never knew that word was in the song, probably because I've only heard the edited version. Lots of songs are edited for radio; why is this any different?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Am I correct in saying that this song has been banned because ONE listener found faggot to be an offensive word.? Just ONE listener.?

I was amazed on my first visit to Canada that in Supermarkets you don't have tins of Faggots on the shelves, they were common on the shelves back home.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(food)

And anyway, does that ONE listener, not have an OFF button.? If you disapprove, turn the Radio OFF, it works for me every time.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Many songs are censored on the airwaves.

Recently, most stations censored Billionaire which is such a good frickin song ;)

If we censor the other F word why not this one?

Personally, I don't want commercial radio stations playing songs without censoring explicit language. If I want the full uncensored version, I'll buy the song or listen to satellite radio. I still think that the public airwaves should have some decorum. I love George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Chris Rock etc and I have no problem listening to the swearing but I don't want it played on AM/FM radio.

I appreciate this song has been around 25 years or so but the age is irrelevant.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm still upset that they censor Peter Gabriel's "Whistling Tunes we P*$$ on the g00n$" lyric in his Games without Frontiers song. ;)

@Hugh - They don't necessarily censor the main "F" word. Have you listened to The Who's "Who Are You"? Toward the end of the song, they start saying "Who the "F" are you?" over and over. I've never heard one radio station censor that song in all time since it's release in '78.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
My point is simply that I don't think bleeping out George Carlin's famous seven words and perhaps a few others on songs played on commercial radio stations is a bad thing.I appreciate it's a slippery slope.

The rest of my post is censored because it includes "nasty words" that are not normally not allowed on the forum.

Personally I find faggot and bitch more offensive than **** or asshole because the first two are derogatory whereas the other describe a bodily function and the other a part of the anatomy. Having said that, I appreciate that many people find **** and asshole offensive so I'm okay with banning that.

The problem is finding common ground so that we bleep out the really offensive and not go overboard.

For this thread, please feel free to use nasty words but please use spoiler tags.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Censorship has been around as long as I can remember. Some examples:
1. Eight Miles High - The Byrds - Alleged to be about drugs. It wasn't but the censors didn't care. (1960s)
2. Kicks - It wasn't kicks he was singing about but the word 'drugs' was not allowed. Kicks worked better for a pop song anyway. (1960s)
3. Numerous lyrics by the Glimmer Twins. Did Mick really want to spend "some time" together? I don't think so. The album version has the original lyrics. (1960s-1970s)
4. Any song by a black artist on high powered "white" music stations. (1930s-1960s)

It just goes to show that censorship doesn't change, only the reasons for censorship.

Edit: If anyone thinks that Money For Nothing is objectionable, they don't want to hear I'd Love To Change The World by Ten Years After. :eek:

·
Registered
689 Posts
I recall during the Brothers In Arms Tour Knopfler himself would usually replace the word with "Queenie" (or at least that's how it sounded to my ears). Also, there was another, shorter, version of the song that left out that part altogether. I don't know if that was due to controversy. At the time I assumed it was just the single version, as it wasn't that unusual then to put the full length version of long songs on the album and edited short versions out on 45.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
That verse was cut completely when it was in rotation on Video Hits and Much Music. Yes, I remember. I still have the album, and enjoyed the song as it was recorded. People should realize that the song is self-depricating, and the "f....t" that is refered to is Knopfler himself.

There are plenty of songs out there that air uncut on Canadian radio. Anyone heard "Jeremy" by Pearl Jam lately? I have never heard it edited. I have always thought that that was something to be proud of, much like our airing of adult material on our major TV network.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Songs are often edited or the lyrics changed for radio airplay. Sometimes that also becomes the single version, especially if the song to too long to fit on a '45'.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts