Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I am an Xplornet installer, so in a nutshell, I have no problem installing these types of satellites although, the tools I use for the Hughes platform is pretty basic.

I am starting to do Bell TV satellite dishes, and well, i purchased a couple of those cheap meters you see with a needle going up and down and frankly, I could care less for them. They suck.. Most times, I need the home owner's help in pointing while they sit in their home telling me what the signal on the tv says.

So my question is, what is the best tool out there (in canada) at a reasonable price that would allow me to better point these dishes with ease? It would be nice if it told me which satellite i'm locked on, etc.

thanks!!!

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Microroyal has a couple of cheaper digital meters. Can't say I've used them though.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I would second the Birdog, great meter.

Stay away from the Lacuna, biggest waste of money ever, IMHO.

I am now using a Super Buddy, expensive, yes but very good, very reliable.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Never heard of them. Cost.?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Go with the Super Buddy. You won't be sorry. About $800. but you can also use it for your installs. It will work with any north American satellite, and any switch configuration.

AND if you punch in the postal code, it will tell you magnetic setting, and skew.

·
Registered
520 Posts
New software for the Birdog Ultra, allows it to test individual satellites through switches, features found on the Super Buddy.

They're both really good meters, average installers should probably pick up an ultra. The usb plus version works just as good when you're trying to allign a dish, but it pretty much only does that.

Haven't used an Ultra yet, but I would buy it first if I had an option vs. the usb plus.

Super buddy's will give you everything, and the features are sometimes required for mdu installation/work.

Ie. Checking the different transponder %, for multiple satellites running through switches or stacked equipement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
screw it lol

I just bought a 7" portable TV and strapped it to a bell reciever with an extension cord. Works good and saved a LOT of money lol!

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
You asked for the 'best' tool to do the job, not a Red Green Special.

If you are an approved Bell TV Installer and are caught using this contraption, by a Bell Inspector, expect to have your PEIN suspended.

Now, enclose it in Seran Wrap and leave a few holes for the heat to escpe and it is almost waterproof.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Super BUddy

I ended up sinking and purchasing a super buddy. So far, seems to do the trick quite well. I was able to point a telesat dish in seconds with 100% lock.. Much better than those freakin' $10.00 needle meters that are annoying!

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Then as will agree, it will soon pay for itself inthe time savings at each job.

I spent quite a few hours during the Summer, just playing with my Super Buddy, aiming at different birds just to get a feel for it.

·
Banned
72 Posts
I have used all of the meters mentioned in this thread and the Super Buddy from Applied Instruments is BY FAR THE BEST meter in the business. I would also pickup an NS-1 noise generator. That thing has helped me diagnose and PROVE BAD IFLs/drops (idiots with T25 staples crushing coax and driving staples into the dielectric causing moisture ingress etc) on many many occasions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts