Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Kodak P85 Digital Frame and would like to show the pictures in the order in which they were taken. Included in the sequence is a bunch of old pictures recently scanned which are now displayed in the wrong order of time sequence. Now the frame does use some date time stamp to order these pictures. I have tried the Windows 7 date change as well as a free utility called BulkFileChanger to change the available picture dates (date taken, accessed, modified etc) but I cannot find the right field that the Kodak is using. Kodak support could not really help me either (promised to get back to me). Does any forum reader know what date the Kodak frame is using?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I am not sure about this frame but I do have a suggestion.
Batch rename the files (IrfanView is great program for that)
Then set the frame to sort by name then the files will be in the order you want.
Date organizing is a lot more tricky

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. The P85 is unfortunately a bottom of the range model with only two options available; random and date sequential. I will post the solution here if Kodak gets back to me.

·
Registered
736 Posts
It is very likely that they are using one of Date fields available in Picture EXIF data.

In order to change EXIF date in Windows 7 you can right click on the file and select Properties. In newly opened dialog click on the Details tab and change "Date taken" field in Origin section.

In addition there are two "golden" standards for EXIF data manipulation. One, ExifTool, that is command line driven, and the other one is GUI built on top of ExifTool called ExifTool GUI. The later one allows you to change EXIF fields for many pictures at once.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks 753951. I have just tried the EXIF tool with some mixed results. Since I have removed red-eyes, noise , blemishes etc from the scanned pictures, all with different SW, the meta data does differ. Looks like the pictures changed the last time with Elements accepts the exif tool's changes in such a way that is read by the Picture Frame. Still digging.

PS: Here is the response that I just received from Kodak.

You mentioned that the old pictures were scanned before they were transferred to the frame. Therefore, each picture will carry the date when they were scanned and transferred to the computer and that is how the frame will red each files. Using a third party software to change the date will not help.

What I can suggest is for you to follow the steps below:

1. Remove the latest pictures in the frame and transfer them to your computer. I suggest that you put them in one folder to avoid confusion. The pictures that should remain in the frame are the old pictures that you scanned.
2. Open the folder in your computer where the new pictures are saved.
3. Please edit all the pictures so that they will carry the date when you edited or modified them.
4. After editing the pictures, transfer them back to the frame.

You should now be able to view the scanned pictures first and then the pictures that you just edited.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
The quote from Kodak makes it sound like the picture viewer is using the last edited date, not the creation or date taken dates.

In other words, the date you see when you view a folder with Windows Explorer.

Perhaps a Touch-type utility is all you need.....

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lining the file dates up with the EXIF "Date Taken" (changed in Windows) does seems to be doing the trick :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts