Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this has been discussed previously. I searched, but couldn't find the answer.

It's time for me to re-evaluate my cable TV package as my promo will end Sept 30.

Currently have:
  • Digital TV - $62.95
  • HD Sports (old rate - $3.95)
Considering:
  • Digital Basic - $36.95
  • HD Plus - $16
Two concerns:
  1. Is HGTV included in Digital Basic in Victoria, BC?

According to this page, it is included in Basic Cable on ch.109

But on this page, it appears HGTV is only included in the full Digital TV package (not Basic)

2. Will I get the HD channels in HD Plus if they're not included in Digital Basic?

For example, TLC and A&E are only included in Classic Cable* Tier 1. If they're not included in Digital Basic, will I still get the HD version of that channel?
* Does Classic Cable still exist? If not, why are these tiers still listed on the website?

Sorry for the questions. It's been awhile since I've had to look at Shaw's new packages. It shouldn't be this confusing!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Cooper, yes HGTV is included in digital basic in Victoria.

Also, yes if you subscribe to Basic and HD Plus, you will get the HD versions of channels that you may no longer get the SD equivalent for.

What you will lose out on are channels that are in tiers 1, 2 or 3 and do not have an HD channel (like Food Network and Spike).

Shaw offered this option to me a while back when I called about ways to cut my bill down. I would have jumped on this if the ladies in my house didn't go ape that they'd be losing W and Family Channel...

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
@cooper83: Please also remember that Basic cable only includes one outlet so if you have more than one you may have to pay an extra $6/month for the extra outlets. (Full cable absorbs this charge in the bundle package.)

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whitecapsfan - thanks for the help! (and yes, the HGTV query is for my other/better half ;) ...it's all she watches!)

Shaw Guru - thanks for the tip. I only require one outlet.

Perhaps this is too early to ask, but when SportsnetOne arrives, will it be included in HD Plus / HD Sports?

·
Registered
438 Posts
SportsnetOne HD will be part of HD Plus & HD Sports Theme Pack.

SportsnetOne SD will be of no charge, when subscribed to Classic cable (ie. Tier 1, 2, 3 + Digital Basic)

Source: shawinfo @ twitter

·
Registered
338 Posts
This is the main thing I do like about Shaw's service, not having to subscribe to the SD channels to get the HD counterpart. I am going to be paying more for TV through Telus (and have a whole bunch of SD channels I'm NEVER gonna watch), but less for Internet.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Shaw Guru: does the one outlet rule still apply if you have Shaw for internet as well? I recall the CSR saying I could still have the four outlets with basic cable/ HD Plus as long as I kept the internet...

·
Registered
195 Posts
@whitecapsfan: that is correct, you'll get up to four outlets when bundled with Internet.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
@cooper83: Please also remember that Basic cable only includes one outlet so if you have more than one you may have to pay an extra $6/month for the extra outlets. (Full cable absorbs this charge in the bundle package.)
If you have a 2nd core product (phone or internet) in addition to Basic cable then you can still have up to 4 outlets included at no additional monthly charge.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I've changed from having Basic+T1+T2+T3+HDPlus+Internet to Basic+HDPlus+Internet and I'm always charged for extra outlets, before and after the change. CSR told me I don't really pay that extra $5/mo and it's being offset in the bundle discount ($39.90 before the change and $15.00 after). Is there any truth to that or have I been paying something I shouldn't have?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
When you have a Bundle the outlets do show on the bill and are then offset in the bundle package as well. If in doubt you can always check the package price on Shaw.ca and compare to your monthly bundle price to confirm itt's correct or contact Shaw.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Shaw Guru, thanks for the info which is basically what the CSR I talked to earlier suggested. Problem is that I can't seem to come up with agreement between the numbers on Shaw's bundle pricing page, my account's bill history page, and my account's "Add Services" page.

- Bundle pricing page says 125.95 (I assume cable modem rental extra and no grandfathered HD+ pricing which I have)

- Bill history page says 85.95 (w/ $15 bundle discount and $5 purchased cable modem discount)

- Add Services page says $77.95 (w/ $13 bundle discount and $5 purchased cable modem discount)

·
Registered
640 Posts
What is "Digital Basic with HD Programming Included"

Just want Sports Programming in HD trying to find the cheapest provider.
Looking for US/CND nets in HD east/west feeds, and the many TSN, SportsNet HD channels.

On Shaw's site they have :
Digital Basic with HD Programming Included $36.95

But don't say what 13 HD channels are included anyone know?

Also can you add just the $10 HD sports pack to it for a total of $46 ?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
But don't say what 13 HD channels are included anyone know?
Most of the major networks such as ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CBC...can't remember offhand and am not at home so I can't confirm for you yet.

Also can you add just the $10 HD sports pack to it for a total of $46 ?
Yup, or HD Plus for $16/month.

·
Registered
656 Posts
You get the basic HD channels (200-215) free with your HD box; no need for the HD Plus package. If you want to pay an extra $16 for channels above 215, Shaw is happy to take that money. If it weren't for TLC and Discovery, I'd probably stick with the fee stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
outlet

It is so simple, a video and audio amp. usually, most cable company and IPTV supply a four way splitter; meaning you can have four outlet for the basic service no matter what package you pick.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the info g011um. Yes we do have an HD box. We're currently on Digital TV. So if I switched to Digital TV basic, would I still get the basic HD channels (200-215)?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts