Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone

I currently have ExpressVu with a 4100 receiver, looking for a second. There's a lot of 3100's on eBay versus 4100s but I know the 3100 needs a smartcard. I'm just curious, aside from that firstly what are the differences between the two, like should I avoid the 3100 since it's older? Is it slower? Also if it doesn't come with a smartcard, do I have to buy one from Bell or something? Just don't want to get a 3100 to save a bit of money then have to go buy a smartcard and make it the same price as a 4100. Thanks!

·
Registered
103 Posts
The major difference between the 2 is that the 4100 has an optical audio output. Any other differences are minor.

I would suggest you just buy another 4100, after the cost of shipping etc you won't be saving much by buying a used 3100. Also, buying a new smartcard from Bell costs around $75.00

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I is also worth noting that 4100's are at the moment shipping with Smart Cards too.

You should have received one for your 4100.

I think this might be until the invetory of the ones with S04 cards is used up, then maybe you will see them appear Cardless again, just a guess of course, as you never really know with Bell.

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So that actually raises a new question. My 4100 never had a smart card, but I just got one in the mail on Friday so I activated it and so on. But if I see people on CL or ebay saying they have 2 4100 receivers for $90 or so, they obviously won't come wtih smart cards. So does that mean if I buy these, I then have to call Bell and pay 2x$75 to get smart cards for them??

Also, a new receiver 4100 is $99, but the 4210 which is the 4100 with a dish is also $99. Is that only allowed to be sold on new activations or can I buy that as well? I don't see the point paying $99 for a receiver if I can get an extra dish for the same price, especially since mine currently only has 1 LNB so if I get another dish I automatically get the second should I ever need it. I'm guessing it's for new customers only but just checking.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
If buying a used 4100 from now on, I would ask if it comes with a Card, if not, go buy one at the Bell World Store etc. The ones being shipped out right now to Installers actually come with Cards.

Yes a 4120 is a receiver and 20" Dish. These are 'supposed' to be for new customers but it is not too hard to get one at a big box store, they seem to have lots of these items.

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can definitely get 4120 at a lot of big box stores, but I bought my initial setup at BestBuy which was the 4120 and I had to activate in the store with the guy, he used some Bell system there, since you can't buy a receiver or dish without an account or being a new customer I guess to stop pirating, so I just assumed that they would ask if you're an existing client and if so only sell you the 4100. I guess I could just randomly ask as I shop around, might get lucky somewhere and have someone just say sure you can get it.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Difference between 3100 and 4100

One difference between the 3100 and the 4100 receiver I have noticed is that the 3100 on the main menu has a selection number 3 saying mail and the 4100 does not have such a selection. Anybody know why the mail selection is there I have never received a message and I have owned two 3100's since Oct 31, 2003 and one 4100 since June 2007.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Mail feature i've never seen used with BTV.. Have seen it used by some cable companies on the digital terminals which just gives msg's about updates with the service or promo's and such. Half decent idea but not used by most companies. Bell seems to advertise more with thier promo channels.

I have 2 3100's and they've been solid since day one. Used as secondary boxs now but they do the job. Havn't used a 4100 so not sure on any differences.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
If the receiver wasn't active in the seller's account Bell TV probably never shipped a card...

I suppose the rule will be the same as with the previous card swap...if you activate a receiver that has an old smartcard (built in for the4100), the system will automatically shi you a new one FREE OF CHARGE

Call Bell TV prior to your purchase with the receiver number to make sure that the seller called them to say he was selling the receiver. Even if the account has been deactivated for years the agent need a clear note that the account holder autorises the transfer of the receiver. If the note is not there they won't be able to activate it for you. Often people think that because they deactivated the account their receivers are OK to be transferred anddon't bother to call Bell. Result:Lots of people call to activate receivers and find out they just lost $$$ cause they can't

The major issue with the 4100 is that they are prone to loosing sound. Lots of 4100 will just stop aving sound sometime for no reason. Bell TV recommends, for all models but even more for the 4100 that the receiver be pluggeddirectly in the electric plug, notusing any power bar or extension cord, which they say could cause sound issue. I personnaly never owned a 4100 but received so many calls for troubleshooting (almost alwys sound issue) that I will never buy that model

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Both models have known hardware issues. Personally, I'd take the 3100 over the 4100 any day. The 3100 has a metal case vs plastic (and the 4100 looks very "cheap") for one thing and is intended to be a "better" model vs the extreme low end entry point for the 4100. I believe it has a few more features due to more memory, but I haven't really taken a look at the 4100 that close to do a comparison.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
If a 4100 is located on or very near a TV set, ie; directly on top or immediately adjacent, it can loose a lot of the high end transponders.

It is a known fact yet Bell TV seem blissfully unaware of the problems.

I know of dozens of service calls for signal loss and as soon as the Tech say the 4100 sat on top of the TV, he just relocated it and it worked flawlessly. Another Tech, carried small dollar store aluminum trays and placed the 4100 on one of these, again the receiver worked perfectly.

It must be a shielding issue, not a surprise due to it's cheap build cost.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Can I receive HD channels with a Model 3100 or do I have to upgrade?
No, the 3100 is SD only.

6131, 6141 are HD Receivers, that with the use of an External Hard Drive become Single Tuner PVR's.
9141, 9242 & 9400 are Dual Tuner HD PVR's.

Depending on your Dish/LNBF/switch configuration, you may also need changes there as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts