Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't find the best forum for this, but here it goes...

Came home and my Harmony remote was showing replace batteries, then went dead immediately. Given I replaced them recently with some new Energizers, I thought this was weird.

I went to manually turn on my equipment and my receiver wouldn't turn on. unplugged and sat for a while, still no go. My Shaw box turns on, but no audio over HDMI to my TV. Component and A/V cables work fine.

I didn't get around to getting any surge protection :( Did my system just get fried? And just a coincidence my remote goes dead at the same time? Never had any surge issues before, not sure what to look for. Thanks :cool:

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Anyone else live with you, like kids? Sometimes an AV receiver won't turn on if the wires connecting the speakers are touching - though usually it would turn on and then off quickly. Don't you usually get your sound from your AV receiver? If so, you must have configured the audio to go over optical, not HDMI.

Replace the batteries in the remote, and check the wires at the back of the receiver.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Check circuit breakers if the receiver is on a different circuit to the TV and PVR. Also check if the AVR has any fuses that may have been blown. If these are not successful then try replaceing the AVR if under warranty otherise to to a repair shop.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help and the FAQ link. Just looks like some bad luck and a coincidence. 1 of 4 batteries in the Harmony for some reason was already dead.

As for the AVR, I think it's toast. Unplugged everything, used different outlet. The standby light is on, but that's about it. It's a cheap unit, trying to find the fuse now. Will see if I can replace that.

I guess it's blessing in disguise, time to upgrade? Plus time for surge protection :rolleyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts