Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still using Shaw Classic Cable (non-HD) and noticed yesterday that CNN is now broadcasting channel 15 in 16:9 format? When did this happen and is Shaw going to switch it back to 4:3 SD?

Thanks.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
If you don't have HD then you're not seeing HD though CNN has been in HD for a long time.

16:9 doesn't mean HD, SD is also in various aspect ratios.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Would you be willing to compromise? Ask your BDU to see if they can do a 14:9 centre cut crop of the HD singal. This way you see more of the filmed content than a 4:3 centre cut crop and still are able to read the small print easier than today.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
The same is occuring on bell channel 500.
If you do not like the look of CNN on Bell TV, press the * key on the Remote.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Old 4:3 STBs are long overdue for an option that lets users choose between cropping or letterboxing content which is transmitted in 16x9.

There should also be a 16x9 screen size option, in case you have one and want to use your stretch button.

Personally, I'd rather have letterboxed since cropping chops off the left and right of the image. Some would disagree with me, hence the need for a user-end option.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
looks like CNN just does one broadcast in HD now, and the BDU's do the downconverting. Before they had a separate feed and had seperate graphics or were centrecutting their sd feeds, but they are saving money by doing this

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
CNN has been in HD for awhile now.

I now waiting for SPIKE HD and WTBS HD and SPACE HD and CP24 HD

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
just happen to be watching CNN, the SD channel is Centre-Cut, ie full 4:3 frame. So it looks like select programming is letterboxed on their SD feed, stuff that is probaly not 4:3 safe

·
Registered
543 Posts
CNN's been HD since September 2007(for anyone curious how far back), but it looks like they've gone 16:9 on their SD feed as well, something I've called for for a long time(19:9 SD broadcasting). I like their latest graphics, good change. HLN has also changed their's, though they haven't gone 16:9 for their SD feed, a shame

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
did you guys not read what i said? i was watching their SD feed and it was 4:3 for a few hours. its not always 16:9 so it depends on the content

·
Registered
543 Posts
did you guys not read what i said? i was watching their SD feed and it was 4:3 for a few hours. its not always 16:9 so it depends on the content
Ok,
A: Don't get testy

B:You may be right, but from what I've read on the net, they've completely switched to 16:9 for both feeds now

C: You watched CNN for several hours?:eek:

·
Registered
438 Posts
I work for an American company based out of Vancouver, and they have a dish network account. I checked, and CNN is broadcasting in 16:9 letterboxed on the the SD equivalent, channel 200

1 - 18 of 18 Posts