Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Would you be willing to compromise? Ask your BDU to see if they can do a 14:9 centre cut crop of the HD singal. This way you see more of the filmed content than a 4:3 centre cut crop and still are able to read the small print easier than today.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Old 4:3 STBs are long overdue for an option that lets users choose between cropping or letterboxing content which is transmitted in 16x9.

There should also be a 16x9 screen size option, in case you have one and want to use your stretch button.

Personally, I'd rather have letterboxed since cropping chops off the left and right of the image. Some would disagree with me, hence the need for a user-end option.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
looks like CNN just does one broadcast in HD now, and the BDU's do the downconverting. Before they had a separate feed and had seperate graphics or were centrecutting their sd feeds, but they are saving money by doing this

·
Registered
543 Posts
CNN's been HD since September 2007(for anyone curious how far back), but it looks like they've gone 16:9 on their SD feed as well, something I've called for for a long time(19:9 SD broadcasting). I like their latest graphics, good change. HLN has also changed their's, though they haven't gone 16:9 for their SD feed, a shame

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.