Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I use the FibeTV PVR and set it to record Glee with Anytime, Anyday, First Run Only entire series. And so far I've been impressed at the way it picks up the shows I watch pretty much anytime without much tending to from me. However, I just noticed that the episode of Glee which aired yesterday was not recorded by the PVR and it did indeed air yesterday. Did anyone also experience this? How do I prevent this from happening again?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've had this happen to me a couple times. Bell says there's not much they can do if they don't get the right original air date. Over the last 6 months, I've noticed this 5-6 times.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm, its only happened this once.

BUT I don't see it on next week - what channel and timeslot is it on at anyways? I think its around primetime on Tuesdays? That's the beauty of PVRs, I don't know when the actual show even airs anymore!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Last week I had the same problem with "The Daily Show and Colbert Report". I believe it was february 16th (CFCFDT 1205). This week, every day until today, I noticed that the guide had lots of missing show information, and I really mean "lots". Instead of displaying show information in time slot, the guide displayed "Off Air". Example: Last tuesday 9pm on Fox 1273, "Raising Hope" was shown as "Off Air" and almost all of the primetime listings for Discovery World HD was "Off AIr" and many, many more. I had to set manual recording for the shows I wanted to record. Since the PVR seems to record programs mainly from the "Name" of the show displayed in the grid, maybe Glee was showing "Off Air" for that night. (I don't watch it, so I can't say for that show).

A reboot of my system did not help. I did contact Bell wednesday and they said they were aware and trying to solve the "Off Air" problem. Today, I did not see any missing listings.

Could this have been your problem?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe, but I since I don't really keep track of the shows and just let the PVR do its thing (the beauty of PVRs!) I can't go back after the fact to check if it was listed. I just checked next week and it wasn't listed, but I'll check 2weeks away when I get home.

Hmm, its just been so reliable until now. I just remember the whole Rogers PVR naming convention fiasco (one of the reason I left to go with Bell) whereby they would change a series name by adding "5.1" or "HD" or "Ltrbx" after the name and cause the PVR to not record the episode - very annoying!

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
Perhaps the IPG had the programme incorrectly listed as a repeat instead of first run. Probably pretty easy to do. If you don't want to miss any programmes, you may want to forgo the "first run" option and then delete any reruns?

Rogers/TV Guide Canada finally did fix that 5.1/HD/LTBX issue, so things have been a lot better here, but they still don't have the "first run" option. PVRs are still only as good as the IPG information.

·
Registered
342 Posts
VoD

I forgot that Colbert and Daily Show were back and deleted my timer. I found all the shows are available in the video on demand section under CTV series.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, Glee is on their guide for tomorrow - I checked last night, however when I checked last week, it was showing a different show. I guess they changed it, but shouldn't they have the listing for 2 weeks ahead of time instead of just a few days?

I hope this is just a blip in an otherwise stellar PVR UI.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Reminder that if you see Glee in the guide for tomorrow night it is not a new episode. There is no new episode this week.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks so much for the reminder! I was just about to look into why it wasn't showing it as recording - now it makes sense, its on the "first run only" setting. Which is a wonderful thing (when it works) and about the closest thing we have to a Tivo for the time being.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts