Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping somebody here can help me with this...

I'm a substitute teacher with a Telus cell phone that's registered in London, Ont. The computer system that calls me for work is a landline that's also in London.

If I know I'm going to be outside the local area for a day or so and I want to be called for work while I'm outside the local area, do I need to change my number on the computer system for that day so it includes a 1 in front?

Or, since we are both London based numbers and it's a landline calling a cell phone, is the "1" not necessary? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
I don't think the 1 will be necessary for what will be a local call from a landline. It's the cell owner that pays any long distance charges if you're away from "home".

Tip: One thing I have done on my cell is to pre-program all the numbers in it with a 1 prefix. If the call is long distance, there will be an LD charge, but if not, there will be no LD charge, however all calls will go through anyway. I believe this was discussed in another thread here.

Edit, use +1 as indicated in post 5.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
The computer system likely dials out using a landline. The 1 is not only unnecessary, but also incorrect. Placing a 1 in the number will cause the call to fail, regardless of where your cell phone is physically located. Your number does not change based on where you are physically - it will always be the same 10-digit number which would require a "1" if dialled from an area code not within your local calling area, or no "1" otherwise. Try dialing your cell phone number, prefixed by a 1 from your home and see what happens.

Cellphone carriers make it easy for their customers by allowing a 1 in front of any number. In fact, most will allow you to dial a long distance number without the "1" but give you an annoying message telling you that long distance charges may apply, and then go ahead and dial it anyways.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Tip: One thing I have done on my cell is to pre-program all the numbers in it with a 1 prefix. If the call is long distance, there will be an LD charge, but if not, there will be no LD charge, however all calls will go through anyway. I believe this was discussed in another thread here.
Taking that a step further, many travellers preprogram everything with a +1 where the + is recognized globally as the international prepend. (equivalent to "011" in North America, and "00" pretty much everywhere else in the world)

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Thanks for that reminder. I actually have mine all programmed with +1 after reading that other thread a while back, but forgot about it.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Yup, I have all my numbers preprogrammed with +1 in front of everything. The only strange thing is everytime at CES (roaming with AT&T), I always have to dial manually because it will never want to recognize the +1 or 1. I can only dial Toronto and Montreal by dialing the area code and phone number.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts