Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to say this is definitely one of the better animated films I've seen in recent times. It's great for kids, but also has underlying adult themes that make it interesting for us as well.

Given how well it did at the box office ($534 million on a $69 million budget and 83% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes) I expect it to be a serious gift grab over the holidays.

Like most DVD/Blu-Ray releases of late it comes with loads of special features. Here they are according to blu-ray.com:

* Commentary with directors Chris Renaud and Pierre Coffin, featuring the Minions!
* GRU-CONTROL: Through a picture-in-picture window, see the making of the film with behind-the-scenes footage and cast/filmmaker interviews (BD-exclusive)
* The World of Despicable Me
* Despicable Beats: director Chris Renaud talks about the cool factor of renowned music producer Pharrell Williams.
* Gru's Rocket Builder: In an all-new game, Vector has stolen some of the most famous landmarks from around the world and replaced them with the pieces to Gru's rocket. Players must return all the stolen landmarks to the correct countries in order to build their own rockets before Vector hacks into the system and steals the rocket plans. The reward for completing the rocket is a launch to the moon!
* A Global Effort: learn all about the global effort behind Despicable Me. A director from France and another from the USA, plus an American and English cast created a movie in France, with artists from all over the world for a truly international movie.
* Three all new, mini-movies starring the Minions (for a limited time only):
o "Home Makeover"
o "Orientation Day"
o "Banana"
* The Voices of Despicable Me:go behind-the-scenes with Steve Carell, Jason Segel, Russell Brand, Miranda Cosgrove, Kristen Wiig and Julie Andrews as they give life to their animated characters. Includes character profiles for each of the cast members.
* Super Silly Fun Land: join Agnes, Margo and Edith at the Super Silly Fun Land Theme Park and play Feed the Creatures and Freeze the Floating Minions to win super cool prizes.
* Miss Hattie's Top Secret Cookie Recipes: Margo is proud to present the recipes for those wonderful cookies that the loveable orphans under Miss Hattie's care enjoy so much! (BD-exclusive)
* pocket BLU
o Minion Me: Exclusively for iPhone® and iPad®: Personalize photos of friends and family by turning them into Minions. Pictures can be customized with glasses, bowties, hats and hairstyles to make it really hilarious! Send it to your friends with a Minion laugh.
o Minion Dominion App: Exclusively for iPhone® and iPad® Control a Minion by turning, tilting, rotating and shaking your phone. Tap the screen to make him speak, tap it again to hear him laugh. Or do battle with the two-player "minion mash up." Download to your iPhone and see who can inflict the most damage on the other's minion.
o Advanced Remote Control
o Video Timeline
o Mobile-to-go
o Keyboard
* BD-Live
* My Scenes

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I pre-ordered at Blockbuster. Should be fun.

·
Registered
547 Posts
And in 3D, too. I just make purchase this one.

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes indeed it's also coming out in 3D.

The list of special features for the 3D Blu-Ray is even more massive:

Despicable Me (Four-Disc Combo: Blu-ray 3D / Blu-ray / DVD / Digital Copy)
Special Features:

· The World of Despicable Me

· Despicable Beats—Director Chris Renaud talks about the cool factor of renowned music producer Pharrell Williams.

· Gru’s Rocket Builder—In an all-new game, Vector has stolen some of the most famous landmarks from around the world and replaced them with the pieces to Gru’s rocket. Players must return all the stolen landmarks to the correct countries in order to build their own rockets before Vector hacks into the system and steals the rocket plans. The reward for completing the rocket is a launch to the moon!

· A Global Effort—Learn all about the global effort behind Despicable Me. A director from France and another from the USA, plus an American and English cast created a movie in France, with artists from all over the world for a truly international movie!

· Commentary with directors Chris Renaud and Pierre Coffin, featuring the Minions!

· THREE ALL NEW, MINI-MOVIES Starring THE MINIONS — The fun continues with three all-new mini-movies, created exclusively for the Blu-ray Combo Packs and DVD Double Pack! Available for a limited time only! Get more laughs and more minion mayhem with “Home Makeover”, “Orientation Day” and “Banana” - you’ll want to watch them again and again!

· THE VOICES OF DESPICABLE ME —Go behind-the-scenes with Steve Carell, Jason Segel, Russell Brand, Miranda Cosgrove, Kristen Wiig and Julie Andrews as they give life to their animated characters. Includes character profiles for each of the cast members!

· SUPER SILLY FUN LAND—Join Agnes, Margo and Edith at the Super Silly Fun Land Theme Park and play Feed the Creatures and Freeze the Floating Minions to win super cool prizes.

· GRU-CONTROL - Through a picture-in-picture window, see the making of the film with behind-the-scenes footage and cast/filmmaker interviews

· MISS HATTIE’S TOP SECRET COOKIE RECIPES—Margo is proud to present the recipes for those wonderful cookies that the loveable orphans under Miss Hattie’s care enjoy so much!

· BD-LIVE™—Access the BD-Live™ Center through your Internet-connected player to get even more content, watch the latest trailers and more.

o MY SCENES—Bookmark your favorite scenes from the movie.

· pocket BLU™ app— For the first time available on iPad®, owners can enjoy a new, enhanced edition of pocket BLU™ made especially to take advantage of the tablet’s larger screen and high resolution display. Consumers will be able to browse through a library of Blu-ray™ content and watch entertaining extras on-the-go that’s bigger and better than ever before. USHE’s groundbreaking pocket BLU™ app uses iPhone™, iPod® touch, iPad™, Blackberry®, Nokia® Smartphone, Android™, PC and Macintosh to work seamlessly with a network-connected Blu-ray™ player and offers advanced features such as:

o MINION ME—Exclusively for iPhone® and iPad® — Personalize photos of friends and family by turning them into Minions. Pictures can be customized with glasses, bowties, hats and hairstyles to make it really hilarious! Send it to your friends with a Minion laugh.

o MINION DOMINION APP—Exclusively for iPhone® and iPad® Control a Minion by turning, tilting, rotating and shaking your phone. Tap the screen to make him speak, tap it again to hear him laugh. Or do battle with the two-player “minion mash up.” Download to your iPhone and see who can inflict the most damage on the other’s minion.

o Advanced Remote Control: A sleek, elegant new way to operate your Blu-ray™ player. Users can navigate through menus, playback and BD-Live™ functions with ease.

o Video Timeline: Users can easily bring up the video timeline, allowing them to instantly access any point in the movie.

o Mobile-To-Go: Users can unlock a selection of bonus content with their Blu-ray™ discs to save to mobile devices or to stream from anywhere there’s a Wi-Fi network, enabling them to enjoy exclusive content on the go, anytime, anywhere.

o Keyboard: Enter data into a Blu-ray™ player with your device’s easy and intuitive keyboard to facilitate such Blu-ray™ features as chatting with friends and sending messages.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I saw it in theaters in 3D and it was clear that it was created to be in 3D - unlike many of the so called 3D movies that have been put out as such to cash in on ticket sales. If the disks can live up to the quality of the theater, it should be a reference disk for 3D TV owners. Either way, the movie was great so you can't go wrong getting it.

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I completely agree, Arcanum.

I'm quite curious to see it in home video on 3D, but I'm pretty positive it'll be impressive. I thought movies like Alice in Wonderland and Avatar were garbage in 3D, despite having impressive CGI and animation. Those movies definitely cashed in on the 3D ticket. Despicable used the 3D aspect very well.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Picked it up yesterday and hope to watch it tomorrow night. Since I pre-ordered I picked up a 3DTV so I considered getting the 3D version but the price difference was too much.

Honestly, drop the DVD and Digital Copy edition and give me 3D.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I like getting the included DVD's, they come in handy for travel, kids, etc and they cost the manufacturer something like 12 cents to include.

But I full agree with you they shouldn't be gouging to include 3D. BD cases with an insert can take 4 discs so why not?

I was going to buy Despicable Me combo, but then realized I would probably end up having to re-buy it later for the 3D and in the course of stopping to think about all that, I decided to just skip it and see if it hits the bargain bin by January.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
or you can buy the BD right now, sell the digital copy, sell the DVD, sell the version of BD that you don't need on eBay. This way you'll be able to enjoy the movie now. :)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Picked up the BD-DVD-Digital Copy version.

FYI, the BD has a fully DD5.1 Descriptive Video version! Amazing!

Great movie.

Cameron

1 - 10 of 10 Posts