Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My company is about to deploy Win7 on new machines only (no retrofits), I am looking for some insight from other DH members that work in PC support role.
I work for Deskside Services, not the help desk (CSC), I expect the CSC will be overwhelmed with "how to questions" and I know I will get some locally where I work. I have been on the beta/rtc/final release of Win7 since the start on my home PC, so I am well versed on the OS.
I am curious as to what kind of questions users ask and how well the deployment went as far as software that worked in XP eg: the company VPN...
I have a early version of the Win7 image on a Lenovo T410, instead of using our EZUpdate for security updates, the image uses Windows Update, (we don't use every MS update) I understand by deployment time, this will be corrected on the image, this sort of thing etc.

So, anyone been through a Win7 deployment, how did it go?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Your question is HUGE, and largely depends on the customizations coming from your architecture folks.

It depends on how your deploying (SCCM/Lite Touch image/PXE etc), scripts included, GPO's. Hopefully your guys are smart and are deploying to a small pilot group first so that you can see what will happen.

Most organizations haven't deployed Win7 yet. Businesses are usually 2 years behind on a wide-scale deploy. Our company is still in the architecture planning phases.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
cambo said:
largely depends on the customizations coming from your architecture folks
Indeed! If your organization uses any custom or unusual apps (especially if they use any macros), drivers, dongles, etc. have they been sandboxed on a Win7 test unit prior to the rollout to make sure that they work properly?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts