Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a Denon DVD-1910, but I was shocked to find out how great the difference this player was in price compared to the US:

US Price (retail): $269
CDN Price (retail): $470

Retail price conversion using www.xe.com: $269 US = $336 CDN.

Denon's retail price is $134 more than it should be. Anybody know why this is?

A&B sound currently sells this unit for $425, which is still too high. Many U.S. websites are selling this player for around $210, which brings the Canadian price down to less than the US retail price ($263 CDN)!

Does anybody know of a good U.S. website that delivers to Canada that I can order this DVD player from?

Thanks,
Visor
Calgary, AB

·
Registered
635 Posts
I don't have any personal experience in ordering from ecost.com but they do offer Denon, primarily refurbs, to Canadians. When I checked today, they didn't have the 1910 listed on their site though.

With respect to Denon's pricing in Canada, it's been like that (~1.8x US list price) for the past while (at least 6-8 years that I have been involved in HT).

Dave

·
Registered
277 Posts
Be very careful who you buy from as Denon is extremely strict on their warrantee only applying to equiment bought from recognized dealers. Check their site for details on this.

·
Registered
276 Posts
You have to consider a couple of things.

First off, our prices can't just move up and down with the american dollar. It just happens that as of the last year or so, our dollar has been very high.

Second, smaller market = smaller distribution potential in Canada.

Third, as mentioned before, warranty. Buy from an authorized retailer, and you get warranty... buy online (modt) or other discount retailer, and likely you won't.

Most electronics are cheaper in the USA, I watch cameras (Sony) quite a bit, and the same numbers apply.

::

·
Registered
284 Posts
A Smaller Canadian Market Is No Justification

in what really amounts to a ripoff of Canadians by many electronics importers!
Nowadays it seems that most major brands electronics imported to the U.S. and Canada are CSA compliant and there is no separate "Canadianised" version.

However, it is unrealistic for any of us to expect Canadian prices to fluctuate with the stronger/weaker Canadian dollar. For that matter, how many of us will go into a Sony Store in Canada and pay full list price for a product when that same item is significantly discounted nearby!

Rather than worry about inequitable or "unfair" price differentials what we should really complain about is the lack of availability of products/models offered in the U.S. and most other world markets.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys, thanks a bunch for your input!

Thanks for the website references. Although the DVD-1910 may not be on those sites, I'm willing to buy last year's model (the DVD-910) as I don't have DVI, and by the time I get a TV that has it, HD-DVD will be around so I'd be replacing my player again anyway.

Ecost has a "Denon Authorized" logo on the screen, but I can't find one for Etronics. I've also checked out www.dakmart.com, which plasters "Dakmart is a Denon authorized e-commerce dealer" on all their Denon products. They sell refurbished DVD-910s for $168, and they offer a 1 year warranty so I'm taking them into consideration. ($168 US = $211 CDN + shipping - a much better deal than $425 CDN ;) ) Anybody familiar with Dakmart?

·
Registered
575 Posts
This is a topic that comes up frequently... maybe I'll write a FAQ?! :)

Anyways, without getting into specifics, there are some justifications for the higher prices, based on the smaller Canadian market. Whether or not all the price difference is justified is a different matter.

Anyways, the 1910 can be purchased at an Audiotronic outlet - of which I think there would be at least one in Calgary (www.audiotronic.ca); their website advertises a price of $400. I ended up picking mine up (at a different place) for $380 + taxes.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Visor said:
Ecost has a "Denon Authorized" logo on the screen, but I can't find one for Etronics. I've also checked out www.dakmart.com, which plasters "Dakmart is a Denon authorized e-commerce dealer" on all their Denon products.
Just because a website posts a logo doesn't mean that they truely are recognized by Denon Canada as an authorized dealer. I could create a website with the logo and have you go there thinking I was an authorized dealer, when in fact I'm not.

From the Denon Canada website:
The warranty on DENON Canada products is NOT VALID if the products have been purchased from an unauthorized dealer/E-Tailer or if the original factory serial number has been removed, defaced or replaced in any way. Recently DENON Canada has become aware of numerous instances in which such serial number tampering has occurred. Unauthorized dealers/E-Tailers and/or their suppliers frequently alter the serial numbers in an effort to prevent manufacturers from tracing the supplier source. DENON Canada sells products through authorized retail channels to insure that consumers obtain quality pre-sale and after-sale support and service. PROTECT YOUR WARRANTY. Buy from an authorized DENON Canada Retailer. Check the unit and its packaging to determine whether the factory serial number may have been altered. If in doubt, call DENON CANADA INC. at 905-475-4085.

Make the call to find out for sure if the dealer you wish to use is authorized.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I sent an e-mail to ecost.com for warranty details, and sadly it's limited to the U.S.:

"Warranties are valid only within the territory of the United States of
America. To be covered by the manufactures warranty the product concerned
must have been purchased directly from Authorized Dealer and the person
seeking warranty service must reside in one of the states of the United
States of America..."

The warranty statement goes on and on. So I guess if I want a warranty, I have to buy it here in Canada (most likely at a brick & mortar place).

I ended up picking mine up (at a different place) for $380 + taxes.
HeaTransfer: Care to say what this "different place" was? ;)

I should drop by Soundsaround to see how much they sell it for...

·
Registered
84 Posts
For what it's worth, I recommend making sure you have warranty coverage, and I also recommend buying from a retailer that you trust will serve you well if you do need service.

My Denon DVD-2200 is about to go in for its second warranty repair, so I'm glad I picked an authorized retailer. However, the store I picked (mentioned above ... I won't mention it again ;)) isn't the easiest to deal with for service. I should have gone to Bleekers (I'm in Ottawa). I might have paid $50 more, but they have their own service department. The first time it went for repair, I was without my player for 2 months ...

BTW, I also considered Etronics.com. They state that they offer their own warranty coverage on Denon merchandise. I later found out that a coworker buys from Etronics regularly, and has never had a problem. Their prices are attractive, especially given our strong currency these days.

Good luck!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I later found out that a coworker buys from Etronics regularly, and has never had a problem.
Hmmm... ecost doesn't have the 910, but they do have the 1815 for a decent price. I'm not exactly looking for a 5 disc changer (higher chance of it breaking down) but at $130 US it sure is tempting...

When you say your coworker has never had a problem, does that mean he's been able to get his equipment serviced under warranty (particularly Denon), or does that mean he's never had to take his equipment in for repairs?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Turns out that he only made one purchase, so I misunderstood the original comment (2nd hand info). The one purchase he did make went fine, with no need to return the item. In fact, he was able to register the product with Panasonic Canada for warranty purposes. Wouldn't work with Denon products though, as they're very strict about buying from "authorized" retailers.

·
Registered
343 Posts
HeaTransfer said:

Anyways, without getting into specifics, there are some justifications for the higher prices, based on the smaller Canadian market. Whether or not all the price difference is justified is a different matter.

Anyways, the 1910 can be purchased at an Audiotronic outlet - of which I think there would be at least one in Calgary (www.audiotronic.ca); their website advertises a price of $400. I ended up picking mine up (at a different place) for $380 + taxes.
I just bought the Denon AVR 1705 from Audiotronic here in Ottawa. It lists on the Denon website and in the store at $620. I paid $500. Still more expensive than some of the others I was looking at, but decided on this one (3 component in, 1 out video switching so I don't need to but the Harmony remote yet, anyways).

·
Registered
27 Posts
I picked up my Denon 1910 from A&B Sound in Calgary (North) for $350 the day they got it, from the guy I deal with there. Ask for Dean, he's awesome to deal with.

Brent

·
Registered
101 Posts
HeaTransfer said:

Here are some of the differences in US vs. Canadian cost:

1- Competition: With more retail outlets in the USA, including the legitimate Online authorized distributors, retailers have to keep their margins thin to attract consumers.
2- Volume. Retailers in the USA can move larger sheer numbers of electronics through their stores, and benefit from economies of scale (shipments from the mfg are lessened, year end volume rebates and incentives the mfg offer)
3- Taxes: the taxes that the mfg have to pay including duties, etc. differ in Canada vs USA so again, less ability to pass on lower prices to the consumer.

MM

1 - 20 of 30 Posts