Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellows, I am trying to find out if software or firmware will change an existing HDMI 1.3 to HDMI 1.4. It seems like the other day I made a purchase of my Denon 4310ci av receiver which has 1.3a. I ran into a couple of bucks and ended up buying the Panasonic TC-54VT24 3D tv as they had a special where they gave a free DMP-BDT350 3D Blueray player in the package. I did not even know at the time that HDMI 1.4 was required for 3D operation so I have to bypass the receiver to get the picture but still use HDMI for the sound.

So back the the question. does anyone know if it is possible or not? On the Denon web site the cheaper receivers are supporting HDMI 1.4 but will be dammed if I am going to spend another $2500.00.

Thanks Gary

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Sorry but what is your question,? Are you asking about firmware updates or cables?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
He's asking if he can update his Denon AVR from 1.3 to 1.4. I think the answer is no. However, try hooking it up first, Gary, before you decide to upgrade. You just might find out that it will pass 3D. Speaking from experience, my 1.3 Pioneer VSX 918 does ;)

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
You brought up the subject of cables (it's even in the original thread title, hence our confusion), however, the cables don't really come into play - they either have the appropriate bandwidth, or they don't. There aren't really HDMI 1.3 or 1.4 cables. If the cables are relatively short, they will handle 1.4. It's the equipment you need to worry about and I don't know if the 4310 will handle 3D or not, or if a firmware update is available for 3D. (I have one too, nice AVR, but I have no interest in 3D)

The subject of HDMI cables has been discussed here several times - see if you can search for the appropriate threads. Here's one on cables, but I don't believe it discusses 3D specifically, although it does discuss cable capabilities:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=30452

I'll move this thread to the AVR forum since the question is really about the AVR and 3D. The cables are a separate item and if they're short, they should handle the 3D signal. What's the make/model/length/gauge of your cables?

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Denon 4310 does not support 3D unless you set the blu ray player output to 720 instead of 1080p. But, your Panasonic blu-ray has 2 hdmi outputs. Run one directly to the tv at 1080p resolution and the other to your denon for the audio. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
I did exactly that for a couple of recent optimizations - ran 2 HDMIs to get 3D with AVRs without 1.4. Just remember that the HDMI outputs on the BD player need to be properly configured - the one for the AVR needs to be set "audio only" or something like that. Of course this means that you have to switch inputs on the TV if you're running everything else through the AVR, but that's not such a big deal, especially if you have a Harmony remote. The reason you run the second HDMI to the AVR (rather than say coaxial or optical audio) is to get the HD audio - TrueHD, DTS-MA. In all instances, the HDMI cables were "nothing special".

Just for fun, I tried running the HDMI "through" a 4310 in a recent optimization and the video signal had glitches (snowy flashes) going that way with the 3D player.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts