Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I really help you can help me as I am pulling what's left of my hair out!!!

I had a Yamaha 7.1 reciever hooked up to my home theater and although it worked great it did not have any HDMI connections. I purchased a new Denon AVR 991 reciever which has lots HDMI connections I need but I cannot for the life of me get the speakers working properly. I am usually pretty good with this stuff but I must be missing something and am at my wits end.

My set up is this...

7.1 home theater set up in my basement and two extra outdoor speakers outside by my hot tub.

First problem

With the Yamaha I had the 7.1 set up on the A switch and the outdoor speakers on the B switch so I could have just have the indoor speakers A on, outdoor only B on or indoor and outdoor on A&B. This was all controlled by the Yamaha reciever.

The Denon is hooked up and the 7.1 in the basement works fine but i cannot get the outdoor speakers to work no matter what I do. I have tried all the other available speaker jacks, tried every zone function but nothing.

Second Problem

When I use the auto setup function on the 7.1 set up it keeps telling me the rear speakers are out of phase, I double checked and they are properly wired but for kicks reversed the +/-to see if that made any difference and of course it doesn't, still out of phase??

Did I buy a piece of junk? I thought Denon was a good brand.

Can anyone help??:confused::confused::mad:

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
HD FAN said:
The Denon is hooked up and the 7.1 in the basement works fine but i cannot get the outdoor speakers to work no matter what I do. I have tried all the other available speaker jacks, tried every zone function but nothing.
Sounds like a wiring issue, somewhere between the connector near your AVR and the speakers outside.

When I use the auto setup function on the 7.1 set up it keeps telling me the rear speakers are out of phase, I double checked and they are properly wired but for kicks reversed the +/-to see if that made any difference and of course it doesn't, still out of phase??
I came across a similar issue when helping a friend set up his system. In his case, the jumpers that connect the two sets of binding posts on the back of each of his main speakers were missing. We fashioned some jumpers out of 14ga. wire and that resolved the problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thank you very much for the quick reply.

I connected the 2 outdoor speakers to the 7.1 rear speaker set up binding posts and they work fine which rules out the speakers and wiring, any other thoughts??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PS as for the phase problem it might be the case. The rear speakers were prewired when i bought the house and they are in wall speakers. What will the happen if they stay out of phase? They sound like they are working well

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
HD FAN said:
I connected the 2 outdoor speakers to the 7.1 rear speaker set up binding posts and they work fine ...
OK, that wasn't clear from your earlier post.

... any other thoughts??
Based on a look at a pic of the back panel of your AVR, it appears that you have the option of assigning the rear surround speakers (likely to "Zone B" and/or bi-amp for your mains). The other binding posts (front wide and front height) have no markings to indicate assignability.

If this is the case, then it seems that your options are to run 7.1 with no second (outside) zone, or 5.1 w/ a second (outside) zone in stereo.

Your owner's manual should confirm this.

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
PS as for the phase problem it might be the case. The rear speakers were prewired when i bought the house and they are in wall speakers. What will the happen if they stay out of phase? They sound like they are working well
If you think it's the in-wall wiring / connection to the speakers, just try reversing the left<->right connections to your AVR and see if that resolves the Audyssey error message.

Leaving them out of phase won't damage anything, but it may affect how well Audyssey is able to EQ your system. And, ideally, you do want to wire your speakers so that they're in phase.

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
1. Sometimes room accoustics and speaker placement can "fool" the AVR into thinking that the speakers are out of phase. If you have confirmed that they are not, then there should be no problem.

2. I assume you know that for audio to zone 2, you need to use the analogue audio inputs for any devices that you wish to listen to in zone 2. It's not the same as a "B" set of speakers. You cannot get away with digital audio inputs for zone 2, so you require a second set of analogue audio connections for anything you wish to listen to "outside".

The 991 is an excellent AVR with many features (as are most mid-priced AVRs these days). It took me several reads through the Operating Manual to understand what my Denon was capable of.

Useful post - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

·
Registered
555 Posts
I think you cannot assume that your Denon can do Zone-A and Zone-B like the Yamaha. I believe Zone-B or Zone-2 is analog only.

This means a cable box hooked up with optical audio, or a PS3 hooked up with HDMI will NOT be output to Zone-2. There is a good manual written by batpig located here - see LINK.

I use a Denon AVR-990 myself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First let me thank all of you, this forum is a great source of information and everyone is so helpful.

I check the wiring right back to the speakers and they are in phase so the auto set up is just miss reading the signal.

I now understand why I cannot set up Zone 2 for my outdoor speakers because i am running 7.1 inside, no wonder i could not get it to work. The outdoor speakers have bananna type conntectors on both ends which will not work for analog connections.

I am very upset because when I purchased this reciever I was assured by sales rep that it would allow me to have 7.1 inside and sperate connections for my outdoor speakers, i was very specific.

Any idea how to hook up my outdoor speakers to the analog connections or am i wasting my time?? I am very frustrated!!

Thanks again for all your help!!

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
You will need to read the operating manual carefully regarding which terminals can be assigned to zone 2. If it's only the surround back channels, then you have a choice of 5.1 plus zone 2, or 7.1. In order to have 7.1 plus zone 2, you need 9 amplified channels (or the method mentioned by eljay above.) Based on the information on pages 59 and 77 of the OM, it appears that zone 2 is from the surround back channels only, but I've only glanced at the OM.

http://usa.denon.com/US/Product/Pages/Product-detail.aspx?CatId=3d9614d1-8000-4106-ab91-8192242cab83&SubId=40b5820d-83c2-4e93-9909-60aae60e0bdd&ProductId=6baf32dc-a50c-48a6-93f6-1da3f72c148f

Do not believe anything a salesperson tells you without corroboration.

·
Registered
910 Posts
A while back, I was skeptical about reading batpig's blog on Denon receivers. After reading, I picked up more than just a few things LOL. Everything you asked including 'how to' output digital source to Zone2 is there too.

Basically, you connect the red/while of the digital device (eg Blu-ray player) to one of the unused AV inputs and you're good to go. The funny thing about these crippled dual zone receivers is, at the end of the day, you might as well buy a separate receiver:):)

Denon receivers are very feature rich. The navigation is not the most user friendly in the world. Required reading : batpig.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I bought the 991 back when Costco had it for sale online. I agree about reading batpig. Reading the owners manual I could not figure out how to use the bypass option. batpig made it all make sense.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Denon AVR 991 zone 2 output

You will need analog audio cables from each source for zone 2 output. Do you have them installed?
Next
check your amp assign in Denon menu. It should be a pre amp output, so you would need an amp to power zone 2. with 1 pair of speakers you will not need much power. Make sure zone 2 volume is up from denon remote choose zone 2 then volume up and source select.
Then
I would get a meter and a tone generator. I have an extra used tone generator with wand I would sell. Anyway. Inject a tone on outside speakers from the wire near the amp.. Then listen for tone outside. If tone is good and the same volume on both. You can disconnect speaker wires on both ends, put a 9 volt battery and check polarity.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Denon zone 2 amp assign

I was mistaken. You can have a 5.1 setup with speaker level out to zone 2. Use the rear surround terminals and assign to zone 2 in programming. You do not need an extra amp for 1 set of speakers.:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts