Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Denon AVR-688 receiver as part of my home theater setup. I have had an issue that has finally annoyed me enough that I have decided to try and figure it out. While playing something in HD from my DirecTV box there is what sounds like a popping sound coming out of 2 speakers. If I wiggle the HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV the noise will go away for a little bit. If I switch to something that is not in HD while it is making the popping noise it becomes unbearable. Anyone have any idea on what could be causing this? Of course I cant get a hold of Denon, they are either so busy Im on endless hold or I get the message "all circuits are busy" when I try to call them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am using Klipsch Quintet speakers. I tried something else last night. I took my receiver out of my entertainment center and unplugged everything from it except for the speaker wires. I had absolutely no components plugged in and the same 2 speakers were still popping. I got up in the attic and followed those wires and they are not around anything that would cause interference. WTF?!?!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have not checked at those 2 speakers themselves, but I will do that tonight. I am using 12 gauge speaker wire. 1 of them is probably ~20-25ft of wire and the other is ~30-35ft. There are other speakers that use less wire and others that use more wire and don't make any noise. I bought the wire in a 250ft spool from monoprice. It is 12AWG CL2 Rated 2-Conductor Loud Speaker Cable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I moved the wires for the front speaker that is popping from the A speaker front to the B speaker front and switched the receiver to play the B speakers. The front speaker no longer popped, but the rear one did. This receiver has outputs for surround and surround back, so could I get away with moving the rear speakers to the surround back and still have it work? Would single speaker outputs on the receiver go out? Would it help if I pulled the cover off and cleaned out any dust I see? Im at a loss as to what caused this...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.