Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Denon AVR-688 receiver as part of my home theater setup. I have had an issue that has finally annoyed me enough that I have decided to try and figure it out. While playing something in HD from my DirecTV box there is what sounds like a popping sound coming out of 2 speakers. If I wiggle the HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV the noise will go away for a little bit. If I switch to something that is not in HD while it is making the popping noise it becomes unbearable. Anyone have any idea on what could be causing this? Of course I cant get a hold of Denon, they are either so busy Im on endless hold or I get the message "all circuits are busy" when I try to call them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am using Klipsch Quintet speakers. I tried something else last night. I took my receiver out of my entertainment center and unplugged everything from it except for the speaker wires. I had absolutely no components plugged in and the same 2 speakers were still popping. I got up in the attic and followed those wires and they are not around anything that would cause interference. WTF?!?!

·
Registered
116 Posts
have you checked to see if the wires are touching each other at the speakers themselves? How long is the speaker wire run for each speaker? What wire gauge are you using?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not checked at those 2 speakers themselves, but I will do that tonight. I am using 12 gauge speaker wire. 1 of them is probably ~20-25ft of wire and the other is ~30-35ft. There are other speakers that use less wire and others that use more wire and don't make any noise. I bought the wire in a 250ft spool from monoprice. It is 12AWG CL2 Rated 2-Conductor Loud Speaker Cable.

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
Make sure you don't have any speaker strands at the AVR or at the speaker shorting. Temporarily connect different speakers to the "afffected" inputs to see if it's the wire, the speakers, or the AVR by elimination, deduction.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I moved the wires for the front speaker that is popping from the A speaker front to the B speaker front and switched the receiver to play the B speakers. The front speaker no longer popped, but the rear one did. This receiver has outputs for surround and surround back, so could I get away with moving the rear speakers to the surround back and still have it work? Would single speaker outputs on the receiver go out? Would it help if I pulled the cover off and cleaned out any dust I see? Im at a loss as to what caused this...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts