Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Relatively new here... hope I'm posting in the right spot.

My Denon 588 that I've had for a couple of years suddenly started behaving strange. I've been using it with a Bell HDPVR, DVD player, and a plasma TV. I use a Logitech remote to simplify life.

Everything was working fine for the longest time. Then suddenly yesterday, when I changing between HD and SD channels, the sound suddenly stopped working on the HD channels. But wait... later I tried to watch a movie via DVD - same thing, the sound stopped working. Actually, what seems to happen is that it's muffled, almost like it's only coming out of the sub and not the speakers (note I'm using Bose acousticmass 5.1). It's almost like there's switching in the Denon that is suddenly cutting off low pass, like mid and high crossover is not working.

Very frustrating, considering the AVR is not that old, but likely outside warranty.

Is anyone familiar with this issue? something that plagues Denon? or maybe someone touched the receiver and changed the config? (Admittedly, Denon is not what I'd call user friendly.) I think it's a fundamental issue though.

I'm wondering if I can get away lucky and replace a resistor somewhere, and or I toast and will have to buy a new one?

Anyone familiar with this one?

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
1. Try resetting the Denon to the factory settings - usually described somewhere in the operating manual.

2. But first, don't necessarily blame the Denon, there may be a poor connection between the AVR and the Acoustimass module or the module could be bad, or there could be a bad connection to the speakers. If you have a speaker that you can borrow, try connecting one "regular" speaker directly to the speaker leads on the AVR to see if it's "muffled". Make sure the Acoustimass module is plugged in properly, turned on, etc. Check/redo every connection and power lead by unplugging/replugging it.

Here's a list of "things to check".

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19694

Here's a post useful for those new to this stuff - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc.:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Check the wiring as well. There could be an intermittent short in the speaker wiring or even in one of the speakers. If the AVR has a white noise or test tone option to balance the speakers, use it to check the sound level and tone on each speaker separately. (A test disc will also work.) If there is a problem with one of the wires or speakers, it will be evident on the test.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts