Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have recently moved and had to resetup my system. Problem I'm having is switching between speakers. Suround system in theater room and stereo speakers in different room. When I switch to B (stereo speakers) the subwoofer in the theater room stays on.

In the old house I manually switched it off, but there must be a setting on the receiver (that I can't find) to turn the subwoofer off. (ie the center speaker turns off by using stereo mode.)

Appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
9,238 Posts
... there must be a setting on the receiver (that I can't find) to turn the subwoofer off. (ie the center speaker turns off by using stereo mode.)
I took a look at the owner's manual and, as far as I could tell, the settings for B speakers operates the same as for A speakers, so you'll probably have to continue either:
i) shutting off the sub manually; or
ii) going into the Audio menu and switching the sub to "off".

(Both of the above scenarios assume that your speakers are set to "large". If they're not - if they're set to "small" - in scenario i) you'll most likely lose all bass below the crossover point; while, in scenario ii), you'll also want to set the speakers to "large".)

(The center channel speaker turns off in stereo mode because, by definition, there's no center channel audio in stereo mode. Bass management, however, is "a whole 'nother story".)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply and I'm sorry to take so long to get back to this issue.

The problem is that the second speakers use a passive sub and the main speakers use a powered sub. The Denon reveiver settings would have to be changed from small to large whenever I switch between A and B.

My plan now is to use my old stereo amp for the B speakers. The only issue now is that I would like the CD player to be connected to both the Denon receiver and the old amp. My CD player has only one set of outputs.

My question is can the CD player output jacks be split to both the receiver and the amp. Only one set of speakers would be used at any time.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
56,566 Posts
Sure, use Y-connector or piggyback cables if you're using the analogue audio connections (red/white). Some CD players have a separate coaxial or optical audio connection...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. I was hoping to split the out put jacks but was worried about sound quality loss. I really appreciate the advice and information this forum provides.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I may have another problem. Are the cables used for audio (red & white) shielded.

The reason for asking is that the previous home owner had run wire from room to room for the speakers. It appears they used heater cable cord which would be 16 or 18 guage and works fine for speakers. I was thinking of using this cable and soldering rca jacks on the ends to connet my CD player with the Amp. (Everything is closed in and running additional wires is not an option).

If audio (Red/White) cable is shielded then I maybe I can't use the existing wire (heater cord) to connect the CD player to the Amp?

Am I out of luck, or do I worry to much?

Thanks again and I really appreciate the advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts