Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: Denon AVR-791

When I insert a memory stick into the usb input on the front of the receiver, and select the usb input mode, I receive a message which says that the stick drive is empty. Comparatively, when I plug the stick directly into the tv, it displays the jpg photo content straight away.

I would prefer using the usb receiver input because it's located in a more convenient location, but I'm not sure why it thinks the stick drive is empty.

Thanks for any tips.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
USB drives can be finicky. I had problems with my Denon AVR-3808CI and getting an USB drive to work.

In my manual for my AVR, it says that only USB devices conforming to mass storage class and MTP(Media Transfer Protocol) standards can be used. I am not sure what this means exactly but I believe it does restrict it to Flash Devices and not USB disk drives but I don't know whether there are further limitations on what type of Flash drive will work.
The manual also states that the drive has to be formated with the FAT16 or FAT32 format. This one caught me as I usually use the NTFS format when I format but this did not work with my AVR.

There is another potential problem that is not touched on in my AVR manual and I can't remember if it happened with my AVR specifically or other devices that have support for USB Flash drives. A few of my many AV devices have support for Flash USB drives but only work with a maximum of 2 GB drives. Along with not working with NTFS formatted Flash drives and no more than 2 GB size, I have some frustrating time wasted trying to find out what works and what doesn't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alan - here is a reply I received about my question from Denon Support:

The AVR-791 will not play JPEG files from the USB input. WMA, MP3 and WAV audio files only. The Denon will always show Empty if there is no playable file on the stick. I hope this helps.

Regards,

Paul Belanger
Denon Canada

------------------------

My guess is that the USB input on most AV receivers do not support viewing jpg photos from a flash drive.

If anyone knows of a mid-priced av receiver that supports jpg photos on flash drives via the USB input on the receiver, I would be interested in knowing which brand/model does this.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Yeah, I forgot to mention that my Denon only has a music player that is limited to 5 formats and they are limited in the playable formats within those formats. My AVR also plays certain FLAC and WAV files that the 781 doesn't.

Page 18 of your AVR 791 User Manual explains some of the limitations but, as mine didn't, does not address the maximum size of USB supported.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts