Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dell XPS17 "Ultimate" Laptop - i7 740QM/1Tb 7200rpm/8Gb ram/3Gb Nvidia GT445M

It's a 17" laptop.

I am looking for an i7 Laptop to do some AVCHD (HD video editting of family vids). Is this a good deal at $1400ish?

The 1Tb HD is actually 2x500Gb HD (7200rpm)

I will also use it to run Adobe PS CS2., and general surfing. Which my 3-4yr old Dual Core laptop does fine. Unfortunately it won't even play my .m2ts files from my camcorder.

Would changing to a 256Gb SSD drive plus 640GB spin drive improve performance alot in editting? or only on boot up speed?

Thx,
Peter

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
For video editing, the big deal is the CPU. When I looked at a new computer, everything I read said to go for the i7 for editing.

I don't think a faster than 7200 RPM hard drive will make a difference so I'd be inclined to keep the regular drives since HD video takes up a lot of hard drive.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New Yrs Resolution....

I've been doing a lot of online research to see which 17" laptop I should plunk my $1400-$1800 on to do some HD video editing.

Reading a lot of forums, here and elsewhere....

I resolve to *never* call a piece of technology "bad boy"

On a different note: Just speculating, but what are the odds of Dell offering a 3D 1080p screen on this bad boy since the GPU can do 3D? The technology is there so why not offer it?
Yuck.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Is there a particular reason you want to spend that kind of money on a laptop for HD Video Editing?

In my mind, I'd spend it on an actual Desktop, max out the RAM, the graphics cards (possibly more than one), and the drives.

That kind of money will give you a HUGE desktop machine.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tikker,

I've been following your other thread.... I'm almost ready to pull the trigger, but cambo is right, it is a lot of money these days to spend on a computer.... Not the most I've spent, but still....

My parents probably spent more on the 286 we had at home when I was in highschool...

In 2001, we bought a 14" (Athlon?) based laptop and probably paid $1400 as a door crasher for a Future shop Grand openning.... I don't think it was high end.

Fear of Xmas bills is getting in the way, of actually adding it to the cart and checking out. I do believe it is a decent price,

P

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
well, to put it in perspective, 4ish years ago, I bought the highest end dell laptop i could

core 2 duo, 17" 1920x1200 screen (best screen i've ever seen to this day on a laptop) 7900gs, etc etc

paid 2500 bucks

my asus blows it out of the water (except for the screen, i'll never see a better one imo)

if you don't need a ton of graphical power, then you can save 1000 bucks and get a midrange laptop with tons of cpu and ram

but this asus is the best machine I've ever owned

1 - 7 of 7 Posts