Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Dedicated Graphics for streaming video to TV?

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  GPG 
#1 ·
I'm planning to set up a system where I will use a laptop computer (not yet purchased) to stream video (from the internet) to a HDTV (not yet purchased). My question has to do with how much graphics power I need in the laptop to effectively do this. I will be streaming mostly so called "high definition" television programming from various television network websites. Should I have dedicated graphics to do so? If so, how much and what brand would you recommend? Or is the Integrated Intel® GMA HD graphics sufficient? (I have no interest at all in playing games with this laptop.) Many thanks for your thoughts.

#2 ·
First of all, you can't install a dedicated graphics card in a laptop. (with the exception of some very high end gaming rigs)

Second, streaming video is blocked from TV network websites in the U.S. like NBC, ABC, FOX, Hulu, etc. But that still leaves YouTube and whatever you buy from iTunes

Third, if it can play on the laptop, it will play on the TV. So, you are going to need something more than a net-book. Also, it must have an HDMI output. Any other output (DVI, VGA, whatever) is only going to cause you grief since your HDTV may or may not support them.

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply, Michael. I haven't bought the laptop yet. So, if need be, I would consider for purchase only laptops with certain graphics capabilities.

As to internet programming, I am almost exclusively watching programming from Germany (always trying to improve my German). I have been watching it for several years now, and almost all of it is much better quality than standard definition TV. But, only ever on my desktop computer, which has an NVIDIA 9600GT video card (512M). Thing is, I won't be using my desktop system to stream the video to the HDTV, but rather this new (not yet purchased) laptop.

You say that if it will play OK on my computer then it will play OK on an HDTV connnected through HDMI. Following that logic, then maybe I should be looking for a laptop with the equivalent of the 9600GT graphics that I have on my desktop system?

#4 ·
Just in case anyone else is struggling with the same issue, I did pick up a SONY Vaio laptop with a Core 2 Duo T6600 with 4 GB RAM and discrete graphics (Nvidia Geforce G210M - 256MB). Using the HDMI port from the laptop to the HDMI input on a 1080P LCD TV (LG 47"), the full-screen streaming video was borderline. For many streams the picture was smooth for much of the time. However ever so often there was stuttering - particularly during horizontal panning (the camera moving from side to side). I ruled out a poor internet connection, as the stream displayed smoothly on the laptop screen itself (which was 720p), but when connected to the TV at 1080P the periodic stuttering occurred. If you simply want to stream the odd Youtube video on your HDTV this laptop and graphics card is probably sufficient. However, if you are like myself - are a bit of a perfectionist and watch much more internet video than regular TV, you'll probably be disappointed with such a settup as well. Conclusion: The laptop is going back to the store. It would appear I need more than a G210M card with 256 MB. Is a comparable card with 512 MB sufficient? I don't know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.