Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
AM did try for a while to compete with their version of better sound in the AM Stereo stations that competed for awhile. I remember listening to CKLG fm (Now CFOX) in Vancouver in the late 60's, it was one of the very early FM stations to go to music in North America, and yes it was album music. But I used to listen to am stations such as CFUN and CKLG-during the day we could also get AM stations from Seattle in am-I still can hear in the back of my mind the old identity song "KJR Seattle Channel 95". I dxed as well, I use to listen to WLS Chicago, when I lived in the Okanagan which didn't have many rock stations, Vancouver stations faded in and out, but far away stations would come in fairly steady for several songs then fade and then come back again. I got WWL New Orleans, and I forget the call letters of the Boston station that used to come in at night. With a big antenna I could get KGA Spokane Washington during the day (I lived in Oliver BC).

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
There are only 4 AM stations left, here in NS. I like to stream AM 580 CKWW from Windsor, ON..

·
Registered
8,934 Posts
I pretty much gave up on listening to music on the radio several years ago, as it's now so bad. Most of my radio listening now is news.

BTW, anyone who's tried listening to AM while next to a streetcar knows about the EV interference issue.

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
I suspect that anyone who really wants/needs to hear AM radio in their newer vehicle will simply stream it from a smartphone app like Radioplayer Canada or iHeartRadio.
That might be the only way for some but it is also a terrible suggestion. I found that some AM Stations have a FM sister station that broadcasts in HD Radio. Some may have a Sub Channel on their HD Radio signal that will be a syndication of their AM broadcast.

Hopefully when I get a new car I am hoping this is the case in the GTA for the AM stations I listen to.

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
its not such a terrible suggestion if you already have a cellphone line with data, but if you do not, then yes it can be terrible to some people. We are not equal, just because the majority of people have data does not mean everyone else has it or can afford it

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
I bet I haven't listened to AM radio in at least a decade. I don't even know what's still there.
Your not missing very much my friend. The only thing I've found on AM radio is Current Events, Breaking News, Traffic Reports, Talk Radio, Live Sports, Weather, etc. This is stuff that the Generation does not seem to care about anymore.

A guy I work with plugs his phone into his car radio and blasts streaming music on his phone and listens to it while he drives to work, but he got caught up in a big traffic jam and came 1 hour late to the office. Eventually when he got there he asked if I was also stuck in that traffic jam? I said no, I listened to the News and Traffic Report on my AM radio and found out about it early enough and took a detour and got to work right on time. Stupid me, I could have been stuck in that traffic jam just like him, but oh well, I had to listen to the friggin boring AM radio and hear the traffic report.

·
Administrator
579 Posts
Your not missing very much my friend. The only thing I've found on AM radio is Current Events, Breaking News, Traffic Reports, Talk Radio, Live Sports, Weather, etc. This is stuff that the Generation does not seem to care about anymore.

A guy I work with plugs his phone into his car radio and blasts streaming music on his phone and listens to it while he drives to work, but he got caught up in a big traffic jam and came 1 hour late to the office. Eventually when he got there he asked if I was also stuck in that traffic jam? I said no, I listened to the News and Traffic Report on my AM radio and found out about it early enough and took a detour and got to work right on time. Stupid me, I could have been stuck in that traffic jam just like him, but oh well, I had to listen to the friggin boring AM radio and hear the traffic report.
But I work from home with the TV on mostly news channels that cover all of that so... :unsure:

·
Premium Member
9,497 Posts
its not such a terrible suggestion if you already have a cellphone line with data, but if you do not, then yes it can be terrible to some people. We are not equal, just because the majority of people have data does not mean everyone else has it or can afford it
I completely agree. And while I may be wrong about this, I'm going to assume that if someone cannot afford a smartphone plan with data their ability to afford a newer car (purchase price, insurance, gas and maintenance) is going to be of greater concern than the availability of AM radio in said car.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
All the radio stations that carry news, sports, weather and traffic reports here in NS are FM stations. As I said earlier there are only 4 AM stations left here and 3 of them play Country Music.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Have not used AM radio since 1988 .

The content on AM is just terrible , AM has become the "Jerry Springer" of content with lots of annoying talk radio stations that have nothing useful to say, the talk radio stations are just filling dead air 24 hours a day with boring content.

The rest of AM is a few lone country music stations , religious stations and a few non english stations.

Maybe it is time to retire AM and put it in the history books with the telegraph.

How many cool kids in the 12 to 18 years of age, could possibly be listening when they are useing itunes on their cell phones ?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
There's barely any AM stations here out East at this point. I think Fredericton has 3 visible, maybe? Two country ones (that are also on FM) and a religious station that comes across from Maine. FM is a loot healthier.

Google Maps in a high urban area tends to get delays due to traffic pretty quick and can reroute around them. That works better the busier an area is, but traffic reports tend to focus on those main corridors anyway.

·
Registered
504 Posts
A number of sports stations out west are AM, I know a number of people that listen to sports that way. FM is great for music, AM is good enough for sports, weather, traffic etc. Many HD stations do have their AM station or stations as HD 2, HD 3... along with their main FM HD1. On long trips through the mountains, I used to be able to get AM stations such as CBC much further than FM for road reports etc., although with my new car I don't have AM so I kind of miss the road reports and local news as I travel through Princeton etc to get from Vancouver to the Okanagan. When going south, I sometimes would listen to CBC AM, I could get their signal almost to Portland Oregon, CBC FM disappeared long before that.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts