Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel this upcoming sequel deserves it's own thread. Downloaded the demo on the 21 and have to say I am very happy. Core mechanics of the game feel the same with the graphics being a bit better then the first one. The demo was an excellent representation of the Dead Space gameplay. Love when a demo makes me jump out of my seat. Day 1 purchase for me.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Ditto. Love the demo. It seems like it is going to be even more psychologically freaky than the first. CAN NOT WAIT!!! Resident Evil needs to take a look at this series to see how survival horror is done. I was hoping for a bit of an online demo as that looks pretty interesting as well.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Didn't know the demo was out. loved the first game though and I will be picking this up. Dead Space 2 + LBP 2 = good january

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Dead Space 2

The reviews are in - it is supposed to be a worthy sequel. I want to get it, but I'm balking a bit at the 10 hour or so single player campaign length - in terms of paying full price for it. I doubt I will get much use out of the multiplayer side of things.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Play it on Zealot (the hardest you can choose until you finish the game) and it will add hours of frustration...OH I mean FUN!!!...to the whole experience...j/k.

Just go it today and it is SPECTACULAR!!! I pre-ordered on boxing day and saved 10 bucks so that helped. Haven't tried the online yet, looks interesting but some reviewers are saying it feels tacked on and not up to what it should be.

The audio is unbelievable. Gotta love the lossless 7.1 on the ps3!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Is it really LPCM? I read it supported either DD or DTS. And DTS only if you kill all the other sound output options on the PS3. I can't tell since I have an original 60GB model, so it has to decode all the surround formats for my processor. All I see is "multichannel audio".

I played a couple of hours so far. On the Survivalist difficulty level. That's already gotten me killed multiple times trying to take on the first boss. Still trying.

The cheap but effective scares are back. I love/hate playing this game alone in the dark.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Defaults to 7.1 pcm on my marantz just like br's did when I had my fat ps3 and the movie output dtshd or ddthd. I even threw in Iron Man 2 with only the l/pcm options selected just to make sure about uncompressed audio being passed and it came up on my receiver as multi-ch 5.1 with the ps3 doing the dtshd decoding, confirmed by the staus bar on the top of the screen. Here's a piece of the eurogamer review article that states it has uncompressed audio.

"PlayStation 3 also benefits from enhanced surround sound options, with uncompressed 5.1 and 7.1 options available. This is a game whose atmosphere is enormously improved with a good surround sound setup, and while the 360's mix is still sensational, there is an added sense of depth to the aural experience by using PS3's HDMI 1.3 audio options."

I didn't see any options to change it to any kind of audio format on the game itself, but when I unselected all the l/pcm options on the ps3, DS2 defaulted to Dolby Digital.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Great game so far. I made sure to watch Dead Space Aftermath first. The new mechanics for floating in zero gravity are great. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Finished DS2 this weekend. Just another great "experience", as DS1 was a couple of years ago. One thing I learned AFTER the game was how people take care with their game saves. I just kept overwriting my saves all game.

Well when you get to certain levels, and especially near the end, you could find yourself screwed if you don't have enough ammo. No joke, I read how one guy had 15 bullets in his Pulse Rifle for the final boss, so he just couldn't finish the game. He had to go back a save or two to be sure he had the right ammo at the end.

I had to try for an hour, dying and dying, and I was ready to just throw my hands up. I'm not even sure how I pulled it off, just glad I did.

FWIW, I found myself a few times almost not wanting to go back to the game because I was getting frustrated in certain parts. Reason being when you run low on ammo, your just all stressed out, trying to figure out how to get past a point. And it got me thinking, it's that stress which makes Dead Space so encompassing. Stress, relief, stress, relief.... Phew!

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Games are awesome forms of stress release, when you feel stress from gaming you should take a break and play a game to relieve said stress.

When your stress has subsided from playing said game you can go back to playing your game stress free.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
WOW! I finished my first round on zealot (just over 12 hours of gameplay, I would like to know the real time with all the dying), and MAN there were some seriously hard parts in the final few chapters. The final battle was fairly easy with a suped up line gun but I don't know how much more difficulty I could take being that the chapters up to the end were very hard. Fantastic gaming experience though. I would say it is the best game I have played since Uncharted 2. Now to go trophy hunting!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts