Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just got the 50 inch HD Plasma screen from FS. Found a dead pixel on the centre of the screen. Gonna exchange it once they get more in stock.

Just wondering how many of you had dead pixels on ur sets? Im hoping that I will get a good set with no dead or stuck pixels. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
What was the outcome?

I'm in the same boat right now. Just noticed a stuck pixel (its shows red) in the middle of the screen on my 50" LG purchased from FutureShop.

The website shows a 100% statisfaction guarentee, so I'm also thinking of exchanging this set. Wanted to know if they gave any resistance to you doing this. If it wasn't in the middle of the screen I might be able to live with it, but right now, its the first thing I look for unfortunately.

I'm willing to wait a little bit to see if it clears up but don't want to wait to long and go past the 30 day period.

Cheers,

Michael

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I'm willing to wait a little bit to see if it clears up
Unfortunately, it won't.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dead pixel on my new Samsung Fpt5084

I am new owner of my first plasma, which I received yesterday. (with a samsung BR !) All was going well and was very impressed until I experimented a little further with the menu. There is one for the samsung called "reducing the effects of screen burn" which I applied. the screen turns white. ( to get rid of ghosts images) OK.... I remembered while shopping for plasma a salesperson had shown me dead pixels, so I went up close to the white screen, and guess what, a small pink~purple X in the top-center position..arg !!!
I did not pay over 2K to get dead pixel(s) !!

Am I making a big deal out of nothing (I think it is one pixel) ??? Now that I know about it, I can spot it even sitteing about 7 feet away, while watching tv.
Is this normal ~expected in large screen plasmas (1080P)

Called samsung customer service and the poor lady asked me to rub my finger against the pixel (this may work for LCD, but not for plasma ) without sucess.

As I woke up this AM, went directly to TV to see if it had disaspear (hopeful, eh), but it is still there...

Anyhow , your expert advice appreaciated.

PS: bought it at FutureShop so I have 30 days satisfaction warranty)

·
Registered
13 Posts
samsung FPT5084

Update- I decided to request an exchange, (without any resistance at all fom FS) Delivery set for Jan 5.

Will let you know if other TV has same issue.

No answers for my post so I asume this is not usual-normal. (althought as I said one tiny pink X does no show from far away)

·
Registered
13 Posts
update- replacement unit

got the replacement today and this unit has 2 "stuck" pixels ...I say stuck because this time they flicker (instead of solid pink when on a white screen, this go on and off)
I am running the "break in " dvd hoping this will stimulate the pixels.
Is this normal...?? don"t want to keep changing the units if this is normal in large plasmas

thanks

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Stuck pixels are a fact of life in plasmas.

Stuck "off" are actually less noticeable than stuck "on" and usually the warranty for the panel will have different thresholds for the number of on/off pixels that qualify as a defect.

At 50" you should be able to get one with no stuck pixels relatively easily but perhaps now that the prices are dropping more units are being shipped with stuck pixels since yield for perfect panels will greatly affect the price.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I just got my 5084 delivered on Friday and have been watching it with no problems, but you got me paranoid with the white screen test, so I ran one to be sure (I debated whether I should run it or not, as they say in the Matrix, "Ignorance is bliss".;)).

Fortunately, I ran the white screen and took a close look and there were no dead/blinking pixels to speak of.

Sorry to hear about your issues axc, hopefully you can get them taken care of. I can completely understand where you're coming from. When I buy something new (whether it was expensive or not, but especially when it was expensive), I expect it to be perfect. If I wanted something used or "as is" I would have bought it as such.

·
Registered
13 Posts
update on stuck pixel

thanks for the responses.
Bizarre, but when I run the break-in DVD for a few hours, the "flashing or flickering" pixel disapears...I guess it gets unstuck, somehow...but when turning the tv on (once it has cooled down) the same pixel is always flashing...I am hoping this will resolve itself...
For those with stuck pixel(s), do you notice if after running TV for a while (screen very warmed up) that your stuck pixel(s) disappear ? Or screen temperature has nothing to do with it ??
The incredibles ...guess I have t otry this to :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not sure if dead or stuck pixels in plasma's are 'normal' but I did have one in my Samsung 42" and despite what some people have posted here I would point out two things from my experience. A stuck pixel can get "unstuck" after use. Mine showed up after 45 days of use and disappeared after another 30 days or so. By that time I had finally convinced Samsung to exchange the set and thankfully this unit has not developed any problems so far.

That brings me to my second point. If you bought your set at FS the 100% satisfaction promise doesn't go beyond the manufacturer's warranty which can be complicated concerning the dead/stuck pixels issue. Be prepared to lobby hard to get an exchange if thats what you feel is the solution. It took me 3 weeks of phone calls, emails and pictures to get Samsung to exchange my set but in the end I'm glad I did.

·
Registered
13 Posts
stuck pixel- samsung

thanks Sticker
I am using the 30 day full satisfaction to my advantage.
Yesterday went in FS again to arrange for another delivery (this will be my third) I gave it a week to see if this stuck pixel waked up, but not taking further chances. Some friend think I am overdoing it, but I stand on my position..I am paying 2400 for a TV, and it must be defect free. I will keep everyone posted and how this 3rd unit .
(I am staying with this model because it is beautiful, various menus~option, etc..if it wasn't for that pixel)

I must admit that FS are superb and not giving me a though time at all. it is the delivery company that must hate me (3rd floor)

stay tuned !

·
Registered
106 Posts
Curiosity killed the cat as they say. After taking a close look, both my LCD sets have at least one stuck pixel each. Don't want to even look at my plasma, as I don't want to jeopardize the love affair! Seriously, in my case I can't even see them unless its on a static screen, so I really don't care that much. Neither of these screens had any stuck pixels when I purchased them btw, so just because you get a perfect set doesn't guarantee that you will be any better off.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Think I have a frozen pixel

I noticed to today that I might have a dead or frozen pixel. When the image is black or really realy dark you cant see it when you look right up to it, but when its a bright picture on the screen the single pixel looks like this and when watching a movie or gaming it comes and goes depending on the colour at the spot.

Is this what I think it is? Will be the second time returning a tv to Costco.

·
Registered
145 Posts
im trying that color video, see if it works after a few hours. It really small of course but always makes me depresed when something doesnt work properly and I have to take it back.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just a thought, why does it look like its normal in the darker colors but as soon as it goes bright like white you can see it like crazy?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts