Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while ago, my Dad's Dell XPS 8930 stopped powering on. I ordered a new power supply (exact same model) and we installed it tonight. The case fan and CPU fan come on but the PC doesn't even begin to post. No beeps and the monitor says “No VGA signal detected” (plugged into either onboard or GPU HDMI port). Anything else I can try or is the CPU fried as well?

Computer hardware Electrical wiring Engineering Auto part Gas

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dell website has this info to help diagnose power/startup issues. No POST, No Power, No Video on a Dell Desktop Computer | Dell Canada. Does the power LED, the keyboard LEDs or possibly a diagnosis LED light up or blink. This might indicate a Video problem instead of a CPU problem. Blinking or colored LED's will give you more information concerning possible problems. See website above to help diagnose problem. Fan startup without LED light might indicate a motherboard problem.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Longshot but it could be the RAM. If you remove it and try powering it on, it may start beeping or act differently. Obviously, if you have another stick of RAM that matches, you could try swapping it out or try the original stick in a different slot. It's rare that CPUs actually fail.

Good luck, let us know if you make progress.

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
The fist thing I see is a big video card and a video cable connected to the onboard video connector. The cable should probably be connected to the video card. That would not cause a post failure but the video card might. If it can be determined that the CPU/chipset supports onboard video, I would pull the video card and reset the BIOS.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The cable was initially connected to the video card but when nothing happened except for the fans starting when we turned on the PC, we hooked it up to the onboard video. Next time I'm over I'll try pulling the card and resetting the CMOS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts