Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to connect my DCT to my new Sony EX700 TV and/or Sony Sound Bar. Neither the TV nor the Sound Bar system see the DCT's HDMI connection. I've gone into the DCT's Interface/Port Status menu and it shows it is enabled but not active.
Does anyone know how to get it "active"? I've always had the DCT connected via component and never had any issues. The Shaw tech wasn't any help.
Do HDMI ports go bad if they aren't used?
Thanks for your help.
p.s. I've already tried switching out different cables etc. so it's not the cables. I have other devices connected via HDMI and they are working fine too.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I know this won't be any help, but I have the same TV and PVR and all works fine. I don't think a port can "go bad", but I think it could be bad to start with. Our last TV had a bad HDMI port but we didn't know until 3 years after we bought it (when we bought our first HDMI device).

I have 2 thought on troubleshooting.

(1) have you tried altering the startup order (i.e. turning the TV on first, then the PVR a few seconds later) and

(2) try hooking up a different TV/monitor to test if it's for sure the PVR port that's bad. The LCD monitor on my computer has an HDMI port so with my last TV it was fairly easy to find out where the problem was.

I'm sure other, more knowledgeable people will weigh in with suggestions as well.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
If I recall correctly, there is a fragile ground/connection on those boxes that can break the first time you plug in the HDMI cable. I remember they were very sensitive to 'gentle' insertion of the connector. If Shaw won't replace the box for you, you might be able to get it repaired or possibly fix it yourself, if this turns out to be the problem. About the only way to 'test' for this is to move the cable around in the connector but, if it isn't actually already 'broken', you run the risk of doing more harm than good. A sticky situation indeed. I would suggest you start by asking Shaw if they can bring out a replacement box for you to try.

·
Registered
949 Posts
HDMI ports do fail on these units. It can be fixed, but IMO it isn't worth the cost.
Component + optical works just as well if your setup supports it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
HDMI ports do fail on these units. It can be fixed, but IMO it isn't worth the cost.
Component + optical works just as well if your setup supports it.
I would argue that in some cases it works even better than HDMI given all the handshake issues people seem to have.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback. Shaw is sending out a tech on Wed. We will see what they say. My system does support Component + Optical so I can always revert to that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not surprising the Shaw tech that came over wasn't really able to do anything. It looks like I have a bad HDMI port. I'm going to try the Component + Optical solution.

My question is do I have to do anything in the DCT's Output settings to make the Optical connection work (like having to pick Component etc) or does it automatically choose the Optical connection if it is plugged in?

Thanks for your help everyone.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
All audio and video ports are active at the same time. You can connect to any and all of them if you like, if need be.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
As far as I know, all outputs are active at the same time. If I'm wrong, you would only need to access the box menu and choose the output you want but I am pretty sure they are all just 'active'. Some newer boxes require setting the outputs but the older ones are all functional if activated by the provider (Shaw in this case). We swapped out all three older Motos here for the new 3400s so I can't check but I'm pretty sure you shouldn't have any trouble.

·
Registered
949 Posts
The optical output just works... no configuration needed. As a bonus, you're probably likely to have less issues than if you were using HDMI.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts