Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a 6200 right now and record lots of content on my MCE2005 machine through Firewire. It's a pretty great system.

What I am wondering is whether the 6412 has a Firewire port for each tuner so I could theoreticaly record two shows at once through Firewire (or be watching something different than I recording.) I know if I purchased another 6200 I could record two programs at once but wouldn't it be great if I could do that with one unit?

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
123 Posts
You could always record them to the HD at the same time with the 6412, and then transfer them one by one to your MCE2005 later.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sarke said:
You could always record them to the HD at the same time with the 6412, and then transfer them one by one to your MCE2005 later.
Someone's been takin' their smart pills.

Good call!

·
Registered
101 Posts
let me confirm, so the firewire ports on the 6200 work!?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lhsonic said:
let me confirm, so the firewire ports on the 6200 work!?
Oh yes. They have been working since I got my box almost a year ago.

If you use MCE 2005, a fellow at TheGreenButton forums has built an app to let you use a Firewire set top box as a tuner inside MCE. It's pretty wicked. Only recording works right now but he is "this" close to having live tv working.

Check it out,

http://www.thegreenbutton.com/community/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=26&MessageID=104152

Cheers,

·
Registered
101 Posts
do the USB ports work for video transfer? Oh, and are they're any XP-based softwares that can do this, it's a hassle to get MCE2005.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First, make sure you install all the mod'd Firewire drivers. Honestly, your best bet to get that portion working is to download Timmoore's package at the GreenButton Forums link I gave you above and ONLY choose to install the drivers. Uncheck everything else. Follow his intructions to a 'T'.

Next try a program like CapDVHS.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=CapDVHS

It will create a .ts file (transport stream). In order to play these files you need either:

- an MPEG2 player (PowerDVD, WinDVD)
- an MPEG2 decoder (Nvidia DVD decoder)
- use VLC (www.videolan.org)

The latest Nvidia PureVideo decoder works best IMO. Allows seeking and smooth playback in Windows Media Player.

Lastly, you need a decently fast computer. I would say nothing slower than a 2Ghz machine.

Cheers!!

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Although the Motorola STBs have firewire active, was there not a time when Shaw Alberta had a "flag" on them and you couldn't record? Is that now gone?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
57 said:
Although the Motorola STBs have firewire active, was there not a time when Shaw Alberta had a "flag" on them and you couldn't record? Is that now gone?
Yes, it's been gone since before December(ish). Shaw has said they will keep them active "for now".

Cheers,

·
Registered
101 Posts
great thanks! your info is a bit confusing, but i'll make sense of it eventually!

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
If your goal is to archive your HD material to DVD, Kevin Moye, who's a frequent poster on the AVS thread on how to do this, has put up a site with great step by step instructions. Check out his guide.

The only drawback to his methods is that they do not create DD5.1 DVD's. There is a problem with audio sync on 5.1 that is not easily overcome using freeware tools. If you use his guide, you will get a high quality video transfer, but only a DD2.0 audio track. If you have NERO, you can use NeroVision to directly record from the .ts file and keep your 5.1 soundtrack.

·
Registered
101 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
PSP and my DCT6412

Thinking of buying a psp, before i do i wanted to know if there is a way of transferring shows via firewire from the dct6412 to psp.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How do I now burn to DVD

travisbell said:
First, make sure you install all the mod'd Firewire drivers. Honestly, your best bet to get that portion working is to download Timmoore's package at the GreenButton Forums link I gave you above and ONLY choose to install the drivers. Uncheck everything else. Follow his intructions to a 'T'.

Next try a program like CapDVHS.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=CapDVHS

It will create a .ts file (transport stream). In order to play these files you need either:

- an MPEG2 player (PowerDVD, WinDVD)
- an MPEG2 decoder (Nvidia DVD decoder)
- use VLC (www.videolan.org)

The latest Nvidia PureVideo decoder works best IMO. Allows seeking and smooth playback in Windows Media Player.

Lastly, you need a decently fast computer. I would say nothing slower than a 2Ghz machine.

Cheers!!

So, this method has worked perfectly and I have some .ts files on my PC that I can play with Windows Media Player (with the help of a codec). Now, what I'd like to do is convert these files to DVD.

I've tried using Roxio Easy Media Creator suite of tools but, have only had limited success. I have a 127 minute movie that I'd like to burn to DVD.

What do other folks use to convert transport streams to DVD?

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Excellent information here. I have used his QuEnc method and it works flawlessly to create a DVD compliant MPG file.

The only drawback to it is that it does not preserve DD5.1 but encodes the audio into 2.0. If you have a relatively error free .ts file, you can use NeroVision to load the file directly and it till transcode it before burning.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I use NeroVision Express to convert .ts files to DVDs, and am very happy with the results. You can make your own menus with it, choose the bit rate you want, and NVE maintains the 5.1 soundtrack. Using a high bit rate I get DVDs that generally look better than commercial DVDs.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts