Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Effective Jan 5th the price of a DCT will be going up.

DCT 700:
$78 self install will be going up to $98 self install
$98 installed will be going up to $118 installed
$2.95/month rental remains unchanged

DCT 6200:
$298 will be going up to $398 for a refurbished and $448 for new

PVR:
$498 currently until the end of January. Feb 1st a PVR will increase to $648.

So of you have been sitting on the fence you may want to act sooner than later to avoid paying a higher price.

PS: Don't shoot the messenger. I'm just trying to let people know so they can save some $$$ if they would like to.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well that sucks.

Minimizes my chances even more of going with Shaw for HD.

I think the current prices are too high, and their about to get higher.. Give me a break.

·
Registered
681 Posts
OMG Shaw has to be the only place where electronics increase in price. Maybe they should be like the rest of the world and price accordingly.

I want to back that statement up by saying its not like DCTs, PVR, and cable modem technology still costs that much especially $648 for a PVR. Like common Shaw how can they justify pricing 3+ or more year old technology like its just being introduced. Bunch of BS if you ask me and I'm speaking for those who are thinking of buying one of these DCTs in the future.

BTW Shaw Guru I'm not shooting you but maybe someone needs to shoot some sense at their pricing department.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Wow, I feel even luckier...I must've been one of the last few customers allowed to activate a third-party DCT PVR receiver with Shaw.

Cost me about a hundred bucks off eBay..... ;)

·
Registered
507 Posts
It's a good thing that I got my Mom a 6200 for xmas rather than Mother's Day!!

Wow. Amazing. Shaw controls the market to the point that they can jack up the prices *and* hold us back with 3 or 4 year-old technology. Yeah, charge a premium price for over-compressed video and audio dropouts. You know, I never really joined in on Shaw bashing until now.

I dream of the day of a CableCard-like system here with open competition for set-top box makers. I'll never happen until the CRTC steps in (which I doubt will happen). $450 for a 6200?!?!?! That's criminal.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
LOL prices going up? Maybe part of the profits are going to their fixing of sooooo many audio/video issues they have been having. At least in my area.

And prices are going up a lot, not just a few percentage points. lol I am stunned.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Be aware that there's not a lot of margin in these boxes. The price points are set to provide some profit margin to the retail channel (ie/ FutureShop/London Drugs/etc) and are moved by Shaw at close to landed cost to these retailers. Shaw's business practice is not to loss lead and their pricing reflects that. They look expensive compared to other BDU's who do loss lead, but that doesn't mean that Shaw's jacking the consumer around, merely choosing not to sell STB's at a loss.

Not saying there is anything wrong with expressing the view that you'd like Shaw to use STB's as loss leaders like other BDU's do, but the real issue is that Motorola continues to sell hardware to the BDU's at steep rates. Why do you think Shaw's looking so hard at whether Pace can fill their needs (first the Tahoe and now the Aspen)? Pretty sure that they would like to land hardware at lower cost which should be passed on to the consumer. If the Aspen gets into wide circulation, then I'd expect the prices that Shaw's charging to drop.

Lastly, competition will not affect pricing in the way you imagine. Comcast has no intention of absorbing the significant costs of supporting Cablecard. “We’ll recover our costs.” Time Warner now charges a DVR Service fee of $9.00 per month (DVR rental separate).

CableCard costs BDU's a significant amount of money to support. Right now, Shaw only needs to support one infrastructure and one known set of hardware issues. If you think that they, or anyone else, will not pass on the costs of that to the customer, think again.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
This simply amazes me. Shaw should be lowering the price on their equipment. Their PVR's, while rock solid (compared to Bell's PVR's), have very few features compared to Bell's PVR's and are not intuitive to use. I have both Bell and Shaw and wish I could morph the 2 PVR's together to get the perfect PVR!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another thing to consider about the price that Shaw charges is the fact that the PVR comes from the US. It's priced in US dollars at a set rate from Pace or Motorola. With the Canadian dollar going way back down over the last few months it now costs Shaw more for these same units. As Johnny says there is little mark up on these boxes so the cost is passed on to the consumer. It's the same with cars and the US pricing, I don't see any of those ads anymore for cars.
Shaw is in the market of providing a product and supporting it. Typically there are more calls to the office and more service calls generated on an account that has an HD DCT (or PVR) and those service calls are at no extra charge. The HD DCT actually costs Shaw more in the long run as the channels are given away as an incentive to get the DCT. I mean if you are putting that much money out you gotta get something back right. Many customers just get the free HD channels and generate very little revenue past the initial DCT purchase.
Personally I love my PVR and I watch about 90% of all my programming on the HD channels so the investment was well worth it for me.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Profits

Let's not kid ourselves here. Shaw is a business and their in this for a profit! As are the other companies providing television to us the consumer. The bottom line is to show as big a profit as possible. And don't let anyone tell you otherwise. They chose a different manufacturer probably because its cheaper. Don't expect any discounts. Shaws programming never goes down in price. And seems their digital boxes don't either.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I completely agree that Shaw is in the business of making money. All I was pointing out is that Shaw does not use loss leaders to generate business as a general rule. The increase in DCT prices reflect that reality. They look expensive because others have a business model that does rely on loss leaders.

If Pace hardware is cheaper than Motorola (and I believe it is) ... at the end of the day, it works for Shaw as a critical mass, we will see those savings passed on to us in terms of lower hardware costs. I was not suggesting that we will see Shaw sell hardware at a loss. I don't think we ever will. But if they can maintain their level of cost recovery (because they aren't making much money on Motorola hardware) at a lower price point, I think we'll see that lower price point.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Shaw Guru pretty much pinned it right, same with JohnnyCanuck.

There has been an ongoing discount on all the DCT's, they are simply expiring it now. Motorola was the only provider for Shaw systems for the longest time (Scientific Atlanta uses different backend equipment). The rise of the US dollar is affecting it now. Plus, Pace came out and undersold Motorola, now Motorola is uping the prices again, may have to do with the current recession..

Either way, Shaw is not a loss leader. They are very upfront with the costs. Pay more for your equipment, one time. Or pay more, overall, on your monthly bill for as long as you subscribe to recover the losses. I think I would take the first option.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Pay more for your equipment, one time. Or pay more, overall, on your monthly bill for as long as you subscribe to recover the losses. I think I would take the first option.
OK I can agree with that. It just seems from a customer standpoint who does not know these details must think that these prices are unreasonably expensive and probably wont invest their money in their equipment. They will go to the service provider that was dubbed "Loss Leader" if I'm correct on that. Hopefully that Pace is indeed cheaper and that eventually some savings will be passed down to the customer.

·
Banned
242 Posts
“Proprietary Gauging”

Two words :
“Proprietary Gouging”

Sure Motorola may be partly to blame but Shaw is known to pass the buck and never admit to any blame … The Audio drop outs thread is a perfect example of this.

In any case, Shaw’s choice of going with Motorola and denying the customer of making his own purchase choice amounts to nothing less than “Proprietary Gouging”.

Two more words :
“No Competition”

Shaw boxes, whether PVRs or Digital Tuners are way overpriced. If Sony, Panasonic, or any other respectable electronic manufacture can come up with a DVD Recorder with tuner, timer and hard drive for $250 bucks – there is no reason a Shaw SD PVR should cost $400 = ridicules! No wonder they pulled it off the market.

Speaking of SD PVRs and Shaw, why can’t I purchase a reasonably priced SD PVR??? Why is Shaw forcing SD customers to purchase a $700 HD PVR or be left out in the cold??? Doesn’t Shaw realize that SD customers are either tight for money or still not ready to make the HD plunge?

No offence to the folks claiming that Motorola is to blame but sure sounds like “Shaw passing the buck” once again.

PS if you google "Comcast to Spread Cost of CableCARD Set-Tops" = you will find many, many Americans feeling that Comcast is lying and gouging. Sounds familiar?
“Proprietary Gouging” and “No Competition”

Rant Over, peace!

·
Registered
38 Posts
So let me get this straight, Shaw is doing this for profit according to some here? Does higher priced boxes not discourage customers to look into other options and lower the chance of a customer of buying a box if out of their price range? Maybe the economy actually does have something to do with heaven forbid that the logical answer make sense...

·
Registered
405 Posts
"gauging"

I assume you mean "gouging" :confused:

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
EFP, just to clarlify, once a BDU makes a headend choice (either Motorola or SA) they are stuck with it. SA STB's cannot be made to work on Motorola headends, or vice versa. Therefore, Shaw is stuck with Motorola (as are Comcast or others). The costs of switching the entire headend infrastructure to SA is prohibitive and would undoubtedly result in significant costs to the customer. The lack of competition is in Motorola headend compatible STB's.

Pace seems to have a solution that requires only minor headend/infrastructure modifications and that's the only light at the end of the competition tunnel. Implementation, however, of Pace hardware has not been without its share of bugs ... hence the go slow approach from Shaw.

As for audio dropouts, I understand that the Pace experience is much better, especially Aspen STB's. That would, in fact, point the finger at either Motorola STB's or Motorola headend architecture. Perhaps as the headends get upgraded for Pace STB's the problem is noticeably ameliorated. That's just what I've heard ... if anyone with Aspen units wants to volunteer their experience, I would certainly defer.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Not much of a consolation but Visions has Shaw digital boxes on sale until after tomorrow (31 Dec.) DCT6200s (basic HD decoder) for $295 and PVRs for $425 (IIRC).

·
Registered
126 Posts
DCT6200s (basic HD decoder) are $250 at Best Buy during Boxing Week (Ends Jan 4 i think).

These boxes are brand new NOT Refurbished models.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts