Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the eSATA connection enabled in Newfoundland and what can be done with it? Is it limited to 160GB external enclosures like other regions/hardware? Is it more reasonable to wait for warranty to expire and open the device to replace the HDD?

Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Pretty sure that the eHDD option is not yet available in Rogers Atlantic, otherwise there would be threads on it. Same goes for the firmware to allow larger internals. If you search the Rogers Atlantic forum for "external", you'll find several previous threads on the topic. Cogeco doesn't allow it yet either. Shaw does.

·
Registered
66 Posts
To reiterate what 57 said, the ESATA port is disabled, and the firmware does not allow larger replacement drives to be installed.

·
Banned
41 Posts
are you sure it is disabled still? cause there was just an FW update done for atlantic canada when aptiv 3.5 was pushed from what i was told. if you wana check to see if it is enabled now from the box power it off then quickly hit select 2 times and the diagnostics will come up, then go to d11 using the down arrows and hit select, under enabled it will either say yes or no.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip. I did go into the settings and didn't find anything mentioning SATA under d11. Everything except Firewire was 'enabled', but not all were active.

Another note.. I can't get the AC outlet settings to work on this device. It seems it's always on no matter what I do. On my 6208 I could select 'on with device' and it would power on my 6500k white light bulb behind my LCD screen (enhances viewing experience and reduces eye fatigue). The setting is there in the menu, but the device just stays in 'always on' mode.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I a very disappointed with Rogers!

First I moved from Ontario to NB with a purchased PVR to find it is not compatible in NB!:mad:

Now I purchase a new PVR to find I can not connect an external E-SATA drive. And internally I am limited to 160GB.:mad:

With the External drive connected I get a message that says I am not authorized to use an external drive and to call tech support.
In the diagnostic screen both internal and external drives are detected and listed correctly. The problem is I have firmware 16.75, 16.76 and 16.77 have both been released by Motorola and they fix this but, Rogers has not released it.

I called tech support to try and get a newer firmware but it is not available to us. I am told Rogers is working on the issue and will release a new firmware in the future. I tried to get my name added to a bug request or feature request so that this could be prioritized. The manager said that there was no option. All he could do was add to my account that I would like an option for E-SATA.

The hardware is capable of using an external hard drive. Other providers offer this to their customers using the same hardware. Rogers need to start working harder to satisfy their customers.

How to make Rogers know this is a priority?:confused:

Jim

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
If you figure out how to make ANYTHING in this area a priority for Rogers, let us know.

But generally, get used to being second class.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I called called Rogers again today to see if there was anything they could do to keep me from switching to FibreOP. ( FibreOP comes with a 320GB drive, does not support external drive, but is twice as effective at storing using better compression.)

The person in retention, (that uses same equipment as Rogers, but does not live in a area serviced by Rogers, was very intrigued by how a PRV can be upgraded to a larger Hard drive. I think she is going to do her our research tonight), offered me heavy discounts (on Internet, Cable, Home phone, and cellular) and free PVR rental until Rogers updates the PVR for larger drives.

Jim

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Welcome to NB. The best way to keep us quite is by offering huge discounts but it doesn't give us anymore channels or storage in our PVR's.

FibreOp is a tempting deal but some of the channels I watch are missing in their lineup so I take the discount and wait for the miracle to happen...:(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts