Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
141 - 160 of 403 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think DAZN could have sublicensed it to the BDUs for a much better fee in July/Aug. Their negotiating power took a hit after the bad press thru the first few weeks, but I'm sure they still did ok for themselves. It's funny reading the comments on Rogers twitter feed, etc. Looks like Rogers is charging $129.99 for the rest of the season, no RedZone and "maybe" eventually a DAZN account to stream. The $130 price for 3/4 of the season works out to about $170 for a full season. Not horrible until you consider that Sunday Ticket used to be part of their SSP, whose price did not drop with the original loss of ST and still isn't going to drop even though customers have to pay the $130 separately if they want the ST games.

Either DAZN made out like bandits in their negotiations or Rogers is really putting the screws to their customers. I'll let the masses decide which is which on that one. :D

Looks like the going rate on the BDUs that are offering it is $120-$130. Here's hoping it's about $200 for a full season next year so the BDU subs can subsidize my $20/mth for DAZN only access, which includes RedZone (DAZN has made RedZone an online exclusive). I'll gladly pay 4 x $20 while the BDU subs cover the rest of DAZN's expenses. :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah, I think they're borrowing some tech from Netflix or something because they pretty much have eliminated using it via a vpn connection.

EDIT: via commercial vpn connections, that is. Nothing stopping you from connecting to your home via vpn and routing thru your home connection when necessary.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Depends on the speed and quality of your home internet connection. Assuming your home connection is idle when you vpn in, anything over 10Mbps upload speed should be plenty to stream DAZN (or most any site).

·
Registered
46 Posts
DAZN Sunday ticket is still garbage. Mine froze about 6 times in one game. It's about 2 mins behind live TV and blurry as garbage. It's like watching 480p or less. Only reason I'm watching is it's free. After that I'm not watching NFL any more until Bell gets Sunday Ticket.

·
Registered
23 Posts
From what I have read in the Daznsucks twitter group Bell won't be getting ST, someone had said they found out that the NFL gave the rights to one provider in each region and Rogers, Shaw and Sasktel was it, I'm not sure how true that it but just what I read :\

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes issues are with DAZN. I know people in many different areas and major cities that all have issues. They told me to go buy a new laptop (mine is a year old - Dell) and use a browser other than Chrome or IE. Oh and don't use wireless connect direct to router.

Funny I've streamed many other things like netfliks, amazon etc and never had a problem.

They are a joke. Obviously the NFL didn't do their research.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
If the NFL really cared about the fan experience they would offer all the games for free...the NFL is a business and at the end of the day they want to make as much money as possible.

If anyone offered them more money than DAZN, they would have sold the rights to them - even if they couldn't deliver the product or had no platform or experience.

On the list of NFL's problems, I think DAZN and the Canadian market are well below anthem protests, teams moving, officiating controversies, players breaking the law (drugs, beating women/kids, etc), concussions, etc etc.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If the NFL really cared about the fan experience they would offer all the games for free...the NFL is a business and at the end of the day they want to make as much money as possible.

If anyone offered them more money than DAZN, they would have sold the rights to them - even if they couldn't deliver the product or had no platform or experience.

On the list of NFL's problems, I think DAZN and the Canadian market are well below anthem protests, teams moving, officiating controversies, players breaking the law (drugs, beating women/kids, etc), concussions, etc etc.
Completely agree. But NFL viewership and money are all going to come to a head when the current TV contracts run out and need to be renegotiated. Ratings are plummeting, fans are not going to games in certain markets and advertisers are complaining about the whole Anthem thing and the lower tv ratings.

Bottom line the NFL won't get the money they want next time around so markets like Canada will start to become a little more important. The NFL has peaked as an entertainment platform and is falling, falling fast.

Like you said perhaps they open it up to free viewing just to get people back into the game and that leads to ticket sales and merch sales.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
1.9 billion a year for ESPN which will end after the 2021 season. ESPN is bleeding subs. About 11 millions in the last few years and are constantly cutting jobs. Another round of layoffs 50-60 will be in the next couple of months. Don't think they will sink that much money into the NFL or other sports.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Signed up for the free trial three weeks ago.

First week, watched a 1pm Sunday NFL game with only minor issues (slight loss of PQ at times, but that is about it)

On Friday night I watched a soccer game without any issues.

Today, trying to watch a 1pm game became impossible in the second quarter. Video would freeze while the audio kept playing, PQ became unwatchable.

Sad that I found an illegal stream within minutes that stayed HD throughout the duration of the game.

141 - 160 of 403 Posts