Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
41 - 60 of 403 Posts

·
Super Moderator
57,120 Posts
Please, let's stick to the topic of DAZN. Any further posts discussing internet speeds, etc will be deleted. Thanks. There are other threads on internet speeds, availability, etc.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I don't know how many people use online feeds or replays from SN or TSN, however, I've noticed in the last few months that they have much fewer replays or games on demand.

As I am not a fan of every sport, the two I noticed were on TSN - both F1 Racing and CFL. For the last several years they have been available to watch after they were live on the main network.

DAZN may be in line for Formula 1 - F1's new owners are working with TATA to deliver a digital platform, and digital rights are not covered in under current broadcast agreements in most regions. Noticeably to myself, even NBC's coverage online has dwindled for live/on demand F1 events as well in the U.S. I would assume for F1, DAZN would need to pick up the standard FOM feed and add there own announcers - for an English broadcast, all the C4 guys will be out of work so it would be a good chance to get an experienced team.

The CFL is in bed with TSN - so I don't see that changing, however, the lack of content this year is surprising to me on TSN GO compared to the past. Maybe the 60+ year old CFL fan base doesn't watch TSN GO. No wonder no Gen-X fans like myself or younger watch the CFL. Would be interesting if DAZN somehow wrangles a CFL contract, but doubt it.

MLB on DAZN probably won't happen - with MLB's own platform, and the Blue Jays being owned by Rogers, they would have a hard time getting the rights.

The NHL on DAZN could be interesting - Rogers is or isn't (depending on who you read) bleeding money on there NHL contract - they may be willing to sell the digital rights for ridiculous fees to cut there losses and maintain the more lucrative traditional broadcast rights. Just speculation, but a business case could be made at the right price.

I don't follow the NBA - does anyone know there digital situation? Would also be curious on some other larger North American sports such as NASCAR, IndyCar, PGA/Golf, Tennis, etc.

·
Registered
127 Posts
More sports added.

TORONTO, Aug. 4, 2017 /CNW/ - Hot on the heels of its launch earlier this week, the revolutionary sport streaming service DAZN, has confirmed a new distribution partnership with North America's fastest growing sports network, beIN SPORTS, through which DAZN's subscribers will have access to beIN SPORTS' exclusive slate of top European soccer matches – live and on-demand. Highlights of beIN SPORTS' comprehensive soccer coverage includes La Liga, Ligue 1 and Serie A, plus live coverage of the UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League and FIFA World Cup qualifiers. In addition, DAZN subscribers will receive Pro14 Rugby and MotoGP coverage live via beIN SPORTS.

With the world of soccer currently captivated by the record-breaking €222m transfer of Neymar Jr. from Barcelona to Paris Saint-Germain, soccer fans will be able to watch his official unveiling on-demand on DAZN ahead of PSG's first home game live this Saturday at 11 a.m. ET.

DAZN has also secured deals to bring coverage of the Sky Bet EFL (English Football League) and Carabao Cup (EFL Cup) to soccer fans in Canada, as well as extensive coverage of the WTA tour and ATP 250 tennis events. DAZN will also be the home of all live PDC darts events. The full list of sports offerings is available below.

"There is no doubt that Canada is home to some of the biggest sports fans in the world", said James Rushton, CEO of DAZN. "Super fans want access to multiple sports and that's why we have made it a priority to expand our offerings in Canada on day one, and we will continue to do so over the coming months."

DAZN previously took the country by surprise, by announcing rights to every live NFL game of the 2017 season, including playoffs and the Super Bowl, NFL Game Pass, NFL RedZone and all games previously part of NFL Sunday Ticket.

Subscribers can watch in real time and on-demand, at home or on-the-go, on smart TVs, tablets, smart phones and game consoles. DAZN continues to offer monthly and annual subscriptions, with one month free. Subscriptions are available at $20 a month or at an introductory offer of $150 annually.

Fans can start their free month at dazn.com.

DAZN Sports Offerings

NFL:

NFL Game Pass
NFL RedZone
All games previously part of NFL Sunday Ticket
NFL Network 24/7
NFL FILMS and Network programming

Soccer:

UEFA Champions League
UEFA Europa League
La Liga / Copa Del Rey
Ligue 1 / Coupe de la Ligue / Coupe de France
Serie A
Sky Bet EFL
Carabao Cup (EFL Cup)
FIFA CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers
FIFA CONMEBOL Word Cup Qualifiers

Rugby

Pro14

Tennis

WTA
ATP 250

Motorsports

MotoGP

Ice Hockey

Kontinental Hockey League (KHL)

Darts

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just received an e-mail response from "Katie" at DAZN. She said they are working on an app that would enable DANZ to work on Apple TV and Samsung. I'm not sure why it's been posted that DAZN will work on Apple TV.
Maybe Dazn haven't got Katie up to speed on everything yet. Some people are reporting that they have got the Samsung app on their TV as well.

·
Super Moderator
20,052 Posts
I was the first one to post that. I don't have an Apple TV, but I noticed that they originally had "Coming soon" with Apple TV and when I posted the list of devices, they had removed "Coming soon." I then checked the DAZN app on iTunes and verified the following:
Updated: Jul 31, 2017
Version: 2.0.5
Compatibility: Apple TV: Yes

Link: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/dazn/id1129523589

·
Registered
322 Posts
Interesting experience with DAZN Canada. Twice now, events have appeared on their schedule and then abruptly disappeared. The first was Moto GP...a slide appeared citing "difficulties at the venue" or something like that. No further explanation. This weekend there were several FIBA games scheduled in some sort of tournament that seemed to involve NA teams. It vanished from the schedule as well. They did reply quickly to my email with this: "We're sorry to have let go of basketball. Our schedule is ever-changing, and while NFL Game pass is our flagship coverage, we are always looking for other sports to add and expand with." How can a schedule be ever-changing? You either have the rights to something or you don't.

That said, lots to like.

·
Registered
322 Posts
According to their own website, they are currently available in 5 countries. But that's not the point. When you negotiate rights to programming, its not guesswork. Don't promise x if you don't have the rights to it. If they are thinking things like "Let's go online in Canada and we should be able to figure things out by the time x happens", they're doing it wrong. You have programmers and lawyers to deal with this part of the business. And every event becomes "international" the instant someone outside the country buys the rights.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Some good some bad regarding them last weekend.

Watched four La Ligue 1 games on my PC, am using Firefox , one was marred by technical difficulties, picture would stall and reappeared lated in SD before getting back to normal, other ones went smoothly especially on demand and the picture was quite great especially the friday game. Two weaknesses come to mind, first their guys calling the action either in French and English are dreadful, dullish academic play by play, no insights or tactical comments, not a fan of Ray Hudson but I kinda missed him. The Amiens-PSG that was shown on TV5 and opted to watch it there because at least the guy doing the color commentary Didier Roustan, brings a lot to the game. .

Also the playback feature needs more flexibility no Fast Forward function, timeline does not indicate anything when you move in time with your mouse and if you do it lags quite a bit before settling it if soccer/football does not suffer so much although fast forwarding the half time or heat break does help I can't imagine watching a rerun of a NFL game and being stuck having to go through it almost in real time. A NFL game can turn into less than a 90 minute affair if you zap through all the ads and breaks in the action.

If they show all Ligue 1 action I don't why they are not able to do the same for Liga and Serie A,if they don't it will be a deal breaker for yours truly , I stopped subscribing to Bein TV because all they were mostly showing La Liga wise was Real and Barca.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry for the double post but can't seem to find the edit feature , the other real annoying thing about them is their communication, they avoid giving any proper information like telling what exactly are they showing without subscribing. And any questions regarding what their programming is met with a non-commital we'll make an announcement about our complete programmation sood and the ever reliable we're always looking to improve our offer.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
What La Liga games did you watch? The season doesn't start for another few weeks.

Ya, I dont understand why their line up and schedule isn't up yet but I think they will have every game available on-demand. I'm just waiting to see if they have actually all the UEFA champions league then I'll subscribe.

41 - 60 of 403 Posts